do you treat the wood sides

ericderek(6)April 17, 2009

I am in the process of making a few raised beds. I grabbed a bunch of lumber from Home Depot last week and built to beds. I am going to do 2-3 more, but need to have an oil tank pulled out of the ground where the others are going. (Being done next weekend.)

Anyway, I was thinking about how the wood is currently untreated. Water, dirt, rain, bugs, etc. will ultimately destroy the wood I am using.

So, is there any SAFE treatment I can do to the wood that might help it last a little longer? Water proofing, stain, polyurethane?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jeremyjs

I coated mine liberally with linseed oil.

Bookmark   April 18, 2009 at 1:08AM
wilkili_ga(7)

I also used linseed oil. This is what Mel recommends in his book. He also says "Its also possible to paint or stain the bottom, outside and top. Leave the inside unpainted so there's no possible contamination to the growing mix."

Bookmark   April 18, 2009 at 9:39AM
estephan03

I'm new to this site and SFG. I just put my boxes together today and was out here looking for cheap vermiculite when I saw your post.
You might be interested in an agriculturally based oil stain called Timber Ox Green. Their site is http://www.timberoxgreen.com/index.php.
The only thing I'm not sure of is if you have to let the wood weather for a year before staining it. I heard that on some home improvement show this week. I need to call them and ask.
I'm very confident in the quality and manufacturing of the stain and the reputability of the company. If you ever have a question or problem, you can call them.
Hope that helps! I'm sure I'll be reading more from all of you soon! Thanks for being here!!! :)
-E

Here is a link that might be useful: Timber Ox Green - Home Page

Bookmark   April 18, 2009 at 9:37PM
desertgirl222

We just set ours up-after coating it veeerrryyy liberally with linseed oil. Works great,smells great,looks great (and was actually a very zen thing to do;).

I've already volunteered to do the next one!!

Bookmark   April 21, 2009 at 12:26AM
silentbreeze

I dont. I prefer them naked. Also gives it a rustic look after a year of weathering. They're holding up fine. dont have to worry about contamination.

Bookmark   April 21, 2009 at 5:51PM
gumby_ct(CT it says Z5)

I don't treat mine either. I painted the 1st couple I made before I found out about SFG. Then made many more with untreated pine which are now 8y/o and counting. So I don't see the point in bothering or the extra expense.

But I also wouldn't staple plastic to the wood either cuz that will trap in the moisture and likely rot faster. Flip them over so the contact with the soil is minimal. If you want you could flip both spring and fall.

Bookmark   April 21, 2009 at 9:37PM
More Discussions
What should I use to fill my raised beds?
I'm going to be making some raised beds in my backyard...
hazeldazel
How deep does a raised bed need to be?
I'm new to SFG and was wondering if the depth of the...
pinkkpearls
I'd like to try SFG like this....(see pic)
I'd like to try SFG in a 55 gallon drum like the one...
farmless_barn
Vermiculite Source List - Throughout USA
I had a hard time finding vermiculite, so I have compiled...
angela12345
Skinny yam harvest
Hi everyone, If anyone can share some wisdom about...
ashita
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™