Where to get terrarium plant seeds?

sdpegasusJanuary 17, 2005

Does anyone know of a place that sells seeds for plants suitable for a terrarium? I have found plenty of places that sell the plants, and, though I would love to start out with the actual plants, there is no way I can afford to do that right now, so I figure seeds are the best way to go (plus, I won't be able to set up my *real* terr for a little while anyway).

I posted a request for plants on the houseplant exchange forum because there is no terrarium plant exchange page (why is that???) but I figured I might get better luck asking here as well.

I am interested in plants, cuttings, starts and seeds. Unfortunately, I don't have much to exchange at the moment, but I would be happy to exchange what I have (check my exchange page) or send SASE or postage for anyone who is interested in doing that.

Beyond that, if anyone knows of any sites that sell seeds of appropriate plants (carnivorous, tillandsias, vines, mosses, ferns, etc.) please let me know!

Thanks.

BTW- this is a very helpful forum--I got a lot of informative responses to my first post, and read a lot of great info in many past posts. Hopefully as I get into this further I'll be able to offer some helpful info as well...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sahoyaref(Alberta z3a)

Most houseplants are grown from cuttings or divisions of larger plants, so I've never seen any place that sells the seeds. I think that a packet of seeds would be just as expensive as the small pots of tropicals (great for terrariums) at places like HD and Lowes though, so why not shop around? I know that you can sometimes get spores of mosses and ferns, but they can be very tricky to germinate. HD sells 'table ferns' (various) for about a buck though. That's how I got mine. Seeds of CPs are readily available. I think Cook's sells some, and you could inquire further on the CP forum.

Bookmark   January 20, 2005 at 2:34PM
homer_zn5(z5 IN)

Contact me by clicking on my name. Each month I throw away or sell cuttings from my terraria . . . although shipping during this time of the year could be tricky. Let me know what you are interested in growing, but realize that you will need a terrarium into which the plant cuttings should be transferred. Otherwise, plants taken from a high humidity location are likely to turn a bit crispy and die when suddenly transplanted into drier environs.

Bookmark   January 20, 2005 at 4:57PM
organic_robin

I had the same questions, so I researched the internet and found a website that offers instructional videos on this topic. The videos helped me a lot, thought I would share the information.

http://homegarden.expertvillage.com/videos/terrariums-planting.htm

Bookmark   October 27, 2006 at 2:21PM
thoughtintheact

Like you, I operate on the strictest of budgets. I keep an eye on the distressed plants at local home stores. I've picked up viable plants for pocket change that just need the slightest TLC. Just today, I went to Lowe's and picked up a pitcher plant for 25 cents. They marked it down simply because the box/container was cracked. I would recommend advertising on craigslist and freecycle, too. With a pleasant request, you could probably find local generous souls willing to contribute cuttings, divisions, or even whole plants. Finally, though it's late in the season for this, do a careful survey of your neighborhood. A variety of herbs and groundcovers make suitable terr plants. I picked up some coleus from a planter outside a bank after they'd passed they're prime. The bank was happy to get rid of them, and a well-pruned coleus makes a suitable pseudo-bonsai.

Don't know if these ideas suit your needs, but I hope they can help somehow...

Bookmark   November 12, 2006 at 11:45PM
socks

Sometimes the "99 cents" store has plants for...oh well, you know.

Bookmark   November 22, 2006 at 6:50PM
mdahms1979

Rare exotic seeds has some nice carniverous plants and tropicals.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rare Exotic seeds

Bookmark   November 26, 2006 at 7:06PM
More Discussions
Closed Terrarium Issues.
Hihi everyone, I recently started to build a closed...
barneyohzg
Minature Mosses and vines for Terrarium backing
I am in the process of starting a large L5ft, x W15ins...
keithgh
Terrarium Heating Mat
I'm new to the terrarium world and would like to start...
bradycarnahan
Terrarium Books?
Hi, I want to start making terrariums, and I was wondering...
JordyS
Sponsored Products
Teal Flip n' Pour Yogurt Container Set
$11.99 | zulily
P2879-77: Fiorentino Forged Bronze Three-Light Pendant
$352.80 | Bellacor
Acclaim Lighting Wall Mounted Somerset Collection Wall-Mount 1-Light Outdoor
Home Depot
Original Gilded Orchid 1 Study on Linen - GOLD
$895.00 | Horchow
Outdoor Lighting. Nottingham Collection Wall-Mount 1-Light Outdoor Matte Black F
Home Depot
Jaipur Anatolia Izmir Flat Weave Tribal Pattern Wool Handmade Rug Multicolor - R
$83.00 | Hayneedle
Antique Brass Petite Paris Flea Market Light
$495.50 | Bellacor
Campania International Rio Round Planter - Set of 3 - 94-008-1803
$749.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™