Mel's Mix vs. Lasagna Method

greenwood85(6b)April 27, 2009

One is free, so obviously I'm leaning towards it. My question is: Is the lasagna method just as effective as Mel's Mix?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
homertherat

I'm curious about that too... I want to try this method, but don't really know how to start it up. Mel's mix is doing great for me so far.

Bookmark   April 28, 2009 at 12:47AM
sinfonian(U8b A2 S5 SeaWA)

It all depends on what you make your lasagna with. I'm partial to the artery clogging meats... Oh wait wrong lasagna, but you get the idea. If the same quality compost is used to make Mel's as it was to do the lasagna (composting in place), then your only issues are drainage and water retention. If those aren't of concern where you live, do whatever. You can always work in some vermiculite later.

Oh, another potential issue is when you want to plant. With Mel's it's ready day 1. I'm not sure how long you have to decompose your lasagna before planting.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden adventure

Bookmark   April 28, 2009 at 10:25AM
greenwood85(6b)

I don't have any problem waiting. I'm actually already thinking ahead to NEXT year. I'm just wondering if the Lasagna method is effective for SFG. Anyone try it successfully? I suppose I could top my composted bed with vermiculite and peat in the spring but I'm wondering if that is necessary. The "Lasagna" ingredients will be rotten veggies, fall leaves, grass clippings, straw, UCGs, and some homemade compost.

Bookmark   April 28, 2009 at 3:06PM
greenbean08_gw(PNW)

My beds are filled "lasagna-style". I used very aged manure (came with lots of nice healthy worm-friends for my garden too), leaves, pine needles, coffee grounds, some dusty chicken manure of unknown age (over 6 months old though) and some dirt (not topsoil) for gee whiz and some mineral content. I planted in it about 2 weeks later and it did fine. It did shrink down by about 1/3 I think over the summer. I filled some of my new beds in the fall and I've topped them off a couple times. Hopefully, they won't shrink down too far this summer. I also put a layer of straw "flakes" (sections of the bale) a couple inches thick, over the tops of the beds. I think it helped the materials break down a little better. I'm hoping to be able to plant through the straw and leave it as mulch. We'll see if that works out...

If you'd like to see pictures, check out the posts from January (see link)

Here is a link that might be useful: Tales of a Transplanted Gardener

Bookmark   April 28, 2009 at 11:21PM
More Discussions
Mel's Mix versus 100% Compost
Hello all, I am starting some boxes for growing. I...
bsntech
I'd like to try SFG like this....(see pic)
I'd like to try SFG in a 55 gallon drum like the one...
farmless_barn
SFG drip system
As I ponder building my boxes and irrigation I am considering...
tedeboy
Corn in sfg-how deep do roots need to grow?
My sfg is only 4x4. I plan this season, only using...
growingup
staining wood for raised beds.
I'm wanting to build a raised bed and first went out...
johnmcd348
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™