Cherry Tomatoes in SFG- should I single-stem?

newbie468(7)April 5, 2014

Hello all,

As the name implies, I am brand new to gardening and have decided to start off using the square foot gardening method.

I have a question about indeterminate cherry tomatoes- my two 4x4 beds currently get 4 hours of full sun (11am-3pm) with dappled morning and afternoon shade. Since I have such limited space and full sun, I am wondering what would be the ideal spacing/number of tomato plants. I was thinking of doing 1 tomato per 12in. and pruning to a single stem. I know 4 hours of full sun may be pushing it, but it gets hot and humid in GA so I want to try. Any advise is appreciated! Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stevin(6)

1 plant per square pruned to 1 stem is what I've been doing for a few years now and wouldn't do it any other way.
I've even allowed 2 stems to grow. I've done this with all my indeterminate tomato plants from cherries to beefsteaks. my beds are 4'x4' w/ a 4' wide trellis 7' high.

Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 1:10PM
newbie468(7)

Your garden is lovely! That set-up is almost exactly how I envision mine. Thank you very much for the information.

Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 8:25PM
ApacheRosePea00

Stevin-I am growing a few indeterminate cherries. Both the black cherry and snow white have come up with multiple stems---maybe I did something wrong when I planted them? Either way, I am wondering if I should let the stems go or trim back to one. I don't want to kill the plants as the stems are clearly all part of one plant. Any help from you or others would be appreciated. Steve

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 2:37PM
planterjeff(7b Grant Park Atlanta)

I second going down to only one vine for most indeterminate varieties, but I have found it is very easy to manage two vines when it comes to cherry varieties. I allow a sucker to grow at the first flower tier on my plants then keep them to these two vines from there on out. It increases your production pretty considerably and they do not end up crowding each other. I keep my larger varieties to only one per stake. You can see how i have it going this year. I put these in the garden around April. They are all spaced one per square foot.

Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 11:04AM
manda99(5a)

If I only had a single box, I'd prune to a single vine. But, I have multiple boxes and really, really love cherry tomatoes. :) I prune regular tomatoes to a single vine and stake it, but I let cherry tomatoes go crazy. I plant them in a corner square in a tall tomato cage and individually stake the larger stems as they grow. I kinda love a big tomato tree! ;)

Bookmark   June 19, 2014 at 10:23AM
More Discussions
How deep does a raised bed need to be?
I'm new to SFG and was wondering if the depth of the...
pinkkpearls
Vining plants and selection for beginner.
So glad to have found this resource! I am starting...
GreenFox
Mighty Matos / Mighty Veggies and SFG
Does anyone here have experience with SFG and Mighty...
tafountain
First attempt at squire foot gardening
Hey everyone! I would like to thank this forum for...
citrusweekendwarrior
Safe insecticide: Olive Oil, Dish Soap, Water
I'm going to try a safe insecticide first before going...
travelsfo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™