Not Great Granny's Insurance (humor)

labrea_gwJuly 24, 2012

Even I find this one strange!

I guess the 40,000 members of 1 Million Moms will be getting a boycott going.

ALL STATE

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jerzeegirl(9)

If you go to the website listed on the poster, it looks like Allstate is running an equality campaign: Equality, what does it mean to you? It also says that if you get a quote Allstate will donate $10 to the SF LGBT Center or L.A. Gay and Lesbian Center. That's pretty cool.

Bookmark   July 24, 2012 at 1:16PM
labrea_gw

Oh well then let the drag races begin. I only attempted drag once & even then it was Halloween! My mother gave me her old 1930's wedding dress & my father his old army boots. Do you think that a year on an analysts couch might be enough for that combo. I also had a full beard back then!
Nice campaign by All State Kultcha wars have been very hot lately!

Here is a link that might be useful: good show

Bookmark   July 24, 2012 at 3:42PM
jodik_gw

I'm happy to see more and more corporations publicly stand up for what's right. It IS pretty cool... and the donations will help.

Bookmark   July 24, 2012 at 6:30PM
denninmi(8a)

A man in a wedding dress and army boots instantly brings to my mind images of the character Klinger from M*A*S*H.

Good for Allstate. Equal rights for the GLBT community is something that the bigots won't be able to squash anymore.

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 6:34AM
chase_gw

Good for Allstate, takes courage to take a stand like that especially with such provocative ads.

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 6:48AM
jodik_gw

And I think that as more corporations and brands stand up and publicly announce their support, the less we'll see of that bigot attitude... it will come to be synonymous with lost income and bad image.

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 7:23AM
demifloyd(8)

I'm surprised that normally cynical people, usually very suspect of the motives of corporations like Allstate, would not view these advertisements as pure marketing and instead assume touchy feely support of a cause.

That observation is way more interesting to me than Allstate's advertisement.

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 9:46AM
duluthinbloomz4

Allstate made the top ten...

Eastman Kodak, Ford Motor Company, Citigroup, D&T USA (Deloitte & Touche), PepsiCo, Merck & Company, Kaiser Permanente, Visteon Corporation (Automotive parts supplier), Allstate Insurance and The Coca-Cola Company.

Aside from the fact that extending human and civil rights to all is the right thing to do, one just has to think embracing those who either work for or use their goods and services is smart business as well.

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 10:53AM
labrea_gw

I think Demi it's also about corporate history, every year they get marks from LGBT orgs & Allstate has apparently done well.
I think a year or 2 ago I posted a list of US Corporations on here after 1 of the parades & their grades from Human Rights Campaign. It's not something that I usually pay attention to here I was a bit caught off guard by the humor & it's comfortable use of what could be something contentious.

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 11:29AM
demifloyd(8)

Thanks for the enlightenment.
The ad makes more sense to this sometimes cynical person.

You must be rubbing off on me. ;)

I admire Allstate's multi advertising campaigns, aimed at different demographics.

My favorite is Mayhem.

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 12:33PM
TxanGoddess

I'm glad they are launching this new advertising campaign, but then again why wouldn't they? They are targeting a market of men who are generally better educated and therefore more highly paid than het men, who don't usually have kids, and who couple up with other men just like them.

It just astonishes me that any business is stupid enough to marginalize that sort of buying power.

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 12:49PM
demifloyd(8)

I don't think NOT directing a campaign at GLBT means someone is ignoring their business.

It seems strange that an advertising campaign needs to be aimed at someone's sexual preference when the product has nothing to do with one's sexuality.

But then advertising campaigns are aimed at all sorts of divisive factors which appeal to one's emotions, identification and acceptance factors.

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 1:04PM
rob333

I used to be a fan of RuPaul's Drag Race, and that's Tammie Brown from Season 1. I always thought she was a hot mess, but she looks pretty good in that ad. That's what I think of when I see her. She did well for herself. So, I guess, I "connected" with Allstate, even though I am not GLBT.

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 4:56PM
elvis

Posted by demifloyd 8 (My Page) on Wed, Jul 25, 12 at 13:04

"I don't think NOT directing a campaign at GLBT means someone is ignoring their business."

Agree.

"It seems strange that an advertising campaign needs to be aimed at someone's sexual preference when the product has nothing to do with one's sexuality."

But everything has to do with sex; sex sells. The LGBT aspect of Allstate's campaign may well turn some would-be customers off, as well.

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 7:04PM
More Discussions
Ben Carson Clown for all Seasons
Ben Carson, the retired neurosurgeon and potential...
labrea_gw
The Universe #2
Just starting up a second thread with mom47's last...
vgkg
WTF?? Where is the seed exchange???
Is it gone because it's free?
sammymocha
Right Wing Nut Job David Barton
Does not believe there will be a vaccine for HIV because...
labrea_gw
Signature salute to Leonard Nimoy
Dead at 83; cause given as end stage COPD. Though not...
duluthinbloomz4
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™