Something eats my tree roots!
I guess it's moles or voles.
I probably posted here a while back on this... I had one young tree (Bloodgood Maple) killed.
Now, I hate to even look at the base of my young trees because it is getting more and more likely that their root base is nothing but a hollowed out series of caves... and you can tip the tree over quite easily due to the lack of roots down there.
So, it is now an epidemic. Dogwoods, maples, hollies, forest pansy redbuds, yews, magnolias etc.... all young...and we're talking almost a thousand bucks at least to say nothing of the work done planting and tending to them over the past three years!
I bought some poison (ugh!), but can't quite think of where to put it to:
a) be near the bad critter
b) be away from the good critters
If I put it near a damaged tree, hasn't the animal already done his business there and moved on?
Do these voles/moles really "like" this poison such that they sniff it out and eat it ... even if it isn't in their normal area?
I don't see the tell tale trails through the grass although I do see golf ball to almost-baseball size holes (with no mounds)... but those might just be chipmonk holes.
The English Ivy makes inspection of the garden areas kinda difficult.
One thing I just did: take 2.5" PVC pipe, cut it into 2 foot sections...and put the poison in the middle of those pipes. Then, I put it near damaged areas. That way, only the smaller critters can get to the poison.
Someone suggested Juicy Fruit gum saying that the animal loves the taste, but it ends up killing them.
Perhaps some of these trees aren't dead. I'll fill those holes and sort of churn the dirt down around the hollowed areas near the roots. Then, maybe lay a weed mat around the base to discourage easy digging.
I never thought that these animals would be anything other than an occasional annoyance.