Critters in the Garden

MCEDJanuary 20, 2013

My husband & I are preparing to move to Tennessee (Nashville area), from NY. I love to garden, but I'm a bit concerned about what critters I might find in my garden.

We don't have to deal with venomous snakes or poisonous spiders much up north.

Any advice on this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

I'm in Knoxville, but I can't imagine that the critters in Nashville will be much different than the critters here. Just about anywhere you go, I guess venomous snakes or poisonous spiders are a possibility, but I very rarely have to deal with either. Black-widows, for instance, are found in New York as well as here (although they are a different species). I have seen a few black-widows here under log piles or big rocks, but have never been bitten by one. In my mind, these things are just not anything to worry about, except to be aware that they could be a possibility if you're outside (pretty much anywhere you go).

Now, for critters in the garden, I have one word for ya...VOLES. In some areas, these pesky little varmints are a real problem. I'm sure you'll also find insect pests different here than from up in NY. However, I don't know that they will necessarily be better or worse, probably just a somewhat different mix.

Bookmark   January 20, 2013 at 11:41AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fernzilla(8)

I discovered I had Voles last Spring and spent alot of time setting out bait, traps etc. I think they were there the year before, but I didn't know what they were. I thought I had Moles.Will be much more observant this year.
Already put out poison bait.

Bookmark   January 26, 2013 at 7:32AM
More Discussions
Spigelia Marilandica??? Anybody?
I got an email from a friend of one of our MTPS-ers...
bigorangevol
A couple of palms almost grew in Knoxville
This past year, a new Holiday Inn appeared on Papermill...
anntn6b
Help with Knockout Roses
I have lost 4 mature Knockout Roses, about 10 years...
neil64
groundcovers in SW Tennessee
I had lots of Lamium, creeping Thyme, mints in Illinois...
ryseryse_2004
Williamson County Master Gardener Plant Sale and Garden Expo
Williamson County Master Gardner Association Invites...
bbhillarts
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™