Use of Preen to prep SFG - did I mess up?

greentouch(7b)April 1, 2010

Hellos, all. I have gardened for 30 years, but this is the first SFG attempt. We recycled 8" wide decking boards into three 3'x6' beds and potentially one more 3'x12', plus, an antique horse watering tub that has lost its bottom. We will fence in the whole area when the exact size is set.

The area is so weedy and full sun, heavy clay soil, that we laid heavy cardboard around the bed areas, and mulched that with about 6" of shredded pine trees courtesy of the county. That should keep weeds out of pathways.

Then, I have hand tilled each bed about 4" deep and removed buckets and buckets of wild garlic and weeds. Essentially, the top 3 inches of soil went into the chicken pens to entertain the flock. I hope the eggs don't start tasting like onion or garlic.

Then, I put down Preen today to keep the weeds from coming on up again. (The next step is a heavy layer of newspaper in each bed, topped off with some version of Mel's mix to about 12" deep, including the 3 inches that was discarded. That will leave a few inches at the top of each bed for mulch around plants.)

A neighbor gardener told me today that the Preen was a mistake, in his opinion. He never used it when he was starting out. His entire garden is about 40 ft square and is made up of old tubs, old pottery containers, and big buckets. He grows enormous amounts of veg, herbs and flowers!! So, I almost believe him.

The Preen will be below the plant roots and below the newspaper. What do you think? Big mistake?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sarcare

I don't think it is a huge problem, unless you plan on planting below the preen line. Supposedly it just keeps seeds from breaking through where it is laid. You may still have have bulbs or tubers go through it, as preen mostly is effective against annual re-seeding weeds. I've had bulb weeds and other perennials come through newspaper and six inches of mulch in just one season of growing.

Bookmark   April 2, 2010 at 10:47PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greentouch(7b)

Thanks. It is depressing to think that the garlic or wild onion can still come up through all that!!

Bookmark   April 3, 2010 at 10:28PM
More Discussions
Vining plants and selection for beginner.
So glad to have found this resource! I am starting...
GreenFox
Lateral space for dripline irrigation in square foot garden?
Hello! I'm pretty new to square foot gardening and...
poppenschmaltz
Raised kidney shaped garden
I have a kidney shaped raised garden that I have planted...
charlieboring
Probably A Dumb Question But
My backyard in AZ is entirely gravel/rocks and pavers....
tascer
staining wood for raised beds.
I'm wanting to build a raised bed and first went out...
johnmcd348
Sponsored Products
Courtney Lakes Vintage Iron Two-Light Island Pendant with Linen Glass
$153.90 | Bellacor
Nebbia White Tech Track Pendant for Lightolier Track Systems
Euro Style Lighting
Bella Trio All Season Fan
$399.00 | FRONTGATE
Two Coventry Armchairs - HONEYSUCKLE WHITE
$699.00 | Horchow
Monarch Specialties I 7831P Dark Espresso Veneer Top 3 Piece Coffee Table Set
Beyond Stores
GlideRite 1.125-inch Oil-rubbed Bronze Classic Square Pyramid Cabinet Knobs (Pac
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™