How to know if they are minis?

Corry_EngelbrechtFebruary 11, 2013

I'm wanting to put together a terrarium. I don't have many places to buy in the area. I have a Walmart, a Home Depot, and a Menards. During the summer there is a place nearby that has TONS of plants and trees, but I'm pretty sure it's primarily outdoor stuff and I'm not sure I'd find anything for a terrarium. I do recall finding some things at Home Depot last year in teeny tiny pots (I bought one that I've recently identified as Jade) . . . they don't have any in right now, but I assume they'll get them back when it gets warmer out. The problem is, I'm finding that so few things at these places are marked as to what they are. The teeny tiny pots at Home Depot were marked 'succulent'. How do I know if something is a mini version? Can someone point me to a website with reasonable prices?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
larry_b(Zone5/CO)

Hi Corry,

You can be pretty sure that the plants in Walmart, Home Depot and Menards are not true miniatures. They will all grow up eventually. You need to go someplace where they sell true miniature plants. Here are few places that have miniature plants.

The Violet Barn - Look under Terrarium and Miniature Plants.

Lyndon Lyon - Click on online store and then click on terrarium plants.

Black Jungle - They also have some small terrarium plants.

I hope this helps!

Larry

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 1:35AM
Corry_Engelbrecht

Thank you so much!

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 1:41AM
emerald1951

Hi....look for places the sell plants for fairy gardens.....lots of mini plants there...I have found some really nice ground cover plants that are very small with tiny leaves....just a idea.....this coming spring I am going to get some and make a fairy garden in a terrarium...I have 2, 5 gal jars one is the shape a car, the other is a pig.......linda

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 10:07PM
paul_(z5 MI)

Even with the sites Larry mentioned, you would be best off -- before purchasing -- make a list of the plants you are interested in and contact the vendor to inquire just how big (tall and wide) the plant(s) will get. Then use those measurements to determine what will fit in your container.

*Note: Generally speaking, cacti and succulents are NOT good candidates for terrariums -- especially if this is your first terr.

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 10:27PM
More Discussions
Small figurines
Hi everyone. I have gone nuts, after reading a book...
popi_gw
overwintering maidenhair fern in cloche
In the late fall I dug up and potted my Maidenhair...
evday
Where to purchase miniature plant seeds
I have would like to grow my own fairy garden plants...
Linda1684
Feathery growths on plant
I'm new to terrariums, started with a kit someone gave...
rkmw
Sponsored Products
Cindi Soumak Rug 6' x 9' - BROWN PATTERN
$1,599.00 | Horchow
Artemide | Logico Quadruple Nested Suspension
YLighting
Uttermost Sedilo 8" Wide One-Light Mini Pendant
Lamps Plus
Elegante Dark Granite 5-Inch One Light Mini Pendant with White Linen Glass
$107.80 | Bellacor
Algoma Riviera Palm Fabric Hammock - 2789W-69
$79.99 | Hayneedle