What's wrong with my spinach?

mizbel66May 1, 2009

Good evening all....

Can anyone tell me whats wrong with my spinach please? I thought it must have been some kind of bug and sprayed with a tomato/vegetable organic insecticide, but the leaves are all still yellowing and getting "holey".

I have other leafy veges right by the spinach and fear whatever it is, is spreading. Some info:

- Plants were grown from seed by me.

- Hardened off for 6 days before being planted out

- Weather has been a little chilly here, down to mid 30's at night, a little rain here and there but nothing too dramatic - just not alot of sun. Was sunny on the weekend they were planted out though.

- 4 x 4 boxes filled with Mel's mix.

- planted out on 4/5.

- haven't really grown much since they were planted out - plants are only about 4" tall at this point.

This is my first vege garden! I've upset my HOA a little with the garden in the front yard, but it's the only place we get sun! i really love my little garden :)

I've included some pictures - many thanks in advance for any advice.

Bel

Spinach leaf showing damage - 4/30/09

SFG on 4/21/09

SFG today, 4/30/09

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dan Staley

first, in a few years HOAs & their boards will stop being populated with little Hitlers and take the sticks out of their posteriors when they realize that the boring landscapes they want waste money and people vote in front-yard veggie gardens. [/rant]

Next, MM is, IMHO, not sufficient in nutrients the first year. The leaf foto and the necrosis on the lvs are not from bugs. It may be because you sprayed in the day and the leaves burned or the lvs croaked due to lack of nutrition. Either way I had trouble when I lived in Puget Sound area and I suspect the soil and maybe moisture in air is causing a fungal issue that the plants will fight off when they get big enough and get going when the sun comes out for good there. In the meantime I'd squirt with a liquid fertilizer with a decently high first number in the analysis.

Dan

Bookmark   May 1, 2009 at 10:01AM
mizbel66

Thank you for your reply Dan - it's been very wet here and a fungal problem makes sense. Hopefully the sun will come out soon to help things along.

Bel

Bookmark   May 6, 2009 at 5:47PM
anniesgranny(6b)

Bel, check out my latest blog and see if your spinach looks like mine. Also, look on the bottom sides of some of the leaves and see if there are tiny white eggs.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Leaf Miners in Spinach

Bookmark   May 6, 2009 at 6:28PM
More Discussions
How deep does a raised bed need to be?
I'm new to SFG and was wondering if the depth of the...
pinkkpearls
2nd year of SFG: what to do?
Hi all, 2nd year of SFG. Last year was 3, 4x4 beds....
Anthony
Bush bean spacing
I was reading in the Sq. foot gardening book that the...
israelithyme
Filling my raised bed
Ok, I'm new to gardening but am planning on constructing...
Matt Cauwels
Watery soil under raised bed
Hey all, I am new to raised beds, just started construction...
jazz1234
Sponsored Products
Valo Magnum Swivel Office Chair - MG9982-BLACK
$665.99 | Hayneedle
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Dwinguler Rugs My Town 4 ft. 6 in. x 7 ft. 6 in. Play Mat
Home Depot
Verona Satin Nickel Three-Light Mini Pendant with Starlight Blue Glass
$418.00 | Bellacor
Radionic Hi Tech Pendant Lights Nella 3-Light Oil Brushed Bronze Round Pendant
Home Depot
Swarovski Lighting | Verve Linear Pendant Light
YLighting
Correll Rectangle High Pressure Laminate Folding Table - CF2448P-01
$126.59 | Hayneedle
Titan Lighting Pendant Lights Confections/Nougat 3-Light Satin Nickel Ceiling
Home Depot
Justice Design Group FSN-8703 - Aero 3 Light Bath Bar - Oval Shade - Dark Bronze
$320.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™