Cucumber Spacing

piotr01May 9, 2008

Mel recommends 2 per square foot from what i understand.

What do you folks recommend?

Also i started a tray of 24 cucumbers, but i think i put too many seeds in each hole. I've got 5-6 just starting to put out true leaves in each now. Should i thin? Is it possible to transplant some into other containers to spread them out?

-Peter

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
m_lorne(5b)

That's alot of cucumbers! Hope you're planning on pickling or giving away. As for the thinning, I would definitely thin them out. Cucumber roots are very particular and don't like to be moved, crowded, or otherwise disturbed. Transplanting an individual plant probably won't work, but when you are having to dig it out of a tight crop with another that you want to keep, I would avoid that. I tried to transplant 5 small seedlings this year that I was going to thin out and all five ended up dying. Pick the best of the bunching and snip all the others.

Next time, try fewer seeds. Given the right temperature, cucumber germination rates, IMHO, are among the best.

Michael

Bookmark   May 9, 2008 at 1:24PM
gumby_ct(CT it says Z5)

You can plant a couple in the same hole. I think with any vining crop, available space on the trellis is more critical. Meaning you can plant the roots close together, just as long as you have room on the trellis for them to spread out. Not only for sun but for air circulation to prevent disease, etc.

HTH,
Gumby_CT

Bookmark   May 9, 2008 at 3:47PM
piotr01

thanks for the info fellas.

So from what i understand you recommend thinning from 5-6 to 2?

also what do you guys recommend in terms of spacing in the Square Foot Garden? 1 per ? or 2 per ?

Bookmark   May 9, 2008 at 9:05PM
More Discussions
Onion spacing- 16/sq ft vs. Dixondale recommendation
Dixondale farms suggests 4" between onions, and...
mmqchdygg
How deep does a raised bed need to be?
I'm new to SFG and was wondering if the depth of the...
pinkkpearls
Raised kidney shaped garden
I have a kidney shaped raised garden that I have planted...
charlieboring
Using Miracle Gro Potting Mix in a Square Foot Bed
Turns out that courtesy of Costco, I can fill my bed...
GardeningHeidi
Looking for bloggers
I am looking for folk interested in writing about square...
Andrew_Green
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™