seed potatoes

midtn(7a TN)January 4, 2009

Anyone know where I can go around Nashville to get some seed potatoes? Getting them shipped costs a fortune.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
burwoodbelle(6-7)

You can find seed potatos at your local farmers CO-OP.
You can buy them by the bag or by the LB.
PAT L

Bookmark   January 4, 2009 at 7:18PM
tly59(6)

Have any of you tried growing "no-dig" potatoes? I found the idea and instructions at the Garden Supply website - filled a wired bin w/ good soil and see potatoes. Got great plants and was so excited! But when the plants died down and I removed the wire - no potatoes. Any idea what I did wrong to get plants but no produce?

Bookmark   January 5, 2009 at 2:15PM
burwoodbelle(6-7)

tly59 you cannot use grocery store bought potatos.If you did thats whats wrong,because they are sprayed to keep from
sprouting. Try seed potatos.

B BELL.

Bookmark   January 6, 2009 at 4:06PM
rockguy(7a)

If they sprouted and grew then it could have been too much nitrogen, that makes for lots of foliage and few roots. I suspect if there were NO potatoes, either you harvested too soon, the tops were attacked by fungus and died pre-maturely, or mice or chipmunks made off with your spuds.

Bookmark   January 12, 2009 at 10:49AM
burwoodbelle(6-7)

midtn) check the phone book for your local farmers co-op by the county you live in.I am in williamson co.
B BELLE

Bookmark   January 29, 2009 at 1:06PM
nosnowtn

midtn,

Do you have a Tractor Supply Company nearby? I was in my local store Monday and they had several great varieties. 5 Lb.
bags of whole seed potatoes were $9.99 I think. I checked my catalogs when I got home and that seems reasonable. Gotta get back there soon.

Joan

Bookmark   January 30, 2009 at 7:21AM
busterbrown(6)

you can contact or go to the farmers co-op in fairview tennessee and get seed potatoes i get mine there every year you can buy them by the pound . you can take 100 hiway west from nashville about 15 miles a nice sight seeing trip. the farmers co-op will be on the right side of 100 hiway when you get to fairview. hope this helps

Bookmark   February 1, 2009 at 2:00AM
More Discussions
mtps
Don't miss The Middle Tennessee Plant Swap this Saturday!!! https://www.facebook.com/groups/64785223352/ http://www.midtnplantswap.com/...
bigorangevol
questions from new TN gardener
I'm not a new gardener but new Z7, southwest TN. Will...
ryseryse_2004
Which Fruit Trees to plant?
I just purchased 3 acres and a small house. The entire...
hopin4rain
Composting Leaves
I have a huge pile of leaves, trying to speed up composting...
maternut
Pollinator habitat
I live in Virginia, but I am installing a pollinator...
Nell
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™