Help planting White Rabbits Fern?

imaginators(z6 KY)February 12, 2005

I have been told that you do not plant White Rabbits Fern into soil but attach it to a driftwood? How is this done?

Thank you,

Theresa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sahoyaref(Alberta z3a)

You rinse as much of the soil away from the roots as you can, and then just plop it on top of your piece of driftwood. It will soon attach itself by sending out new roots. If it is continually falling over, just tie in on with some fishing line (not too tight), which you can cut off later.

Bookmark   February 15, 2005 at 3:16PM
dragonthoughts

hmmm. I replied to this, but it seems not to have made it...
These plants do GREAT in soil, not even in a terr.. Mine has grown enough to send its offshoots to 5 friends and family members plus a cutting at work that will soon be huge as well. Perhaps you were given that recommendation because they thought it grew too fast in soil?
You can use many things to attach it to driftwood. Plastic tie strips, cotton string (will rot eventually), or my favorite is thin metal strands that I bought from english gardens for like 2$ for 50 or so. You can even silicon it to the wood. That takes a bit more care because you need to not block future growth. I've never done the silicon, but I've seen it.

Bookmark   February 17, 2005 at 1:44PM
sahoyaref(Alberta z3a)

Yes, they will grow in soil, but they were intended to be epiphytes, so I think they look better mounted. Of course the roots will eventually find their way down into the soil and continue to grow, but they tend to get 'dirty' in soil, and then one can't enjoy the nice, white fuzzy roots that are such a feature of this plant.

Bookmark   February 17, 2005 at 2:31PM
imaginators(z6 KY)

Well I planted the White Rabbits Fern in soil against the driftwood before I received this information. So I will let nature take it's course and see what happens. After reading all of your amazing large, beautiful terraiums mine seems so tiny. Again learning as I grow.
Theresa

Bookmark   February 17, 2005 at 10:06PM
mdahms1979

I have this species in my terrarium, it is called Humata tyermanii. It will grow equally well in soil or as an epiphyte but will be much easier if you start the main portion of rhizome in the soil so that it can develope a good root system.

Bookmark   February 22, 2005 at 11:32PM
More Discussions
Small figurines
Hi everyone. I have gone nuts, after reading a book...
popi_gw
Terrarium Books?
Hi, I want to start making terrariums, and I was wondering...
JordyS
Want to get a terrarium lots of questions need suggestions pleas
I want to get a terrarium, I've thought about it for...
yurtle.the.turtle
Best micro-ferns/mosses for a SMALL closed plant terrarium
Hi, I am new to this hobby but very into it and excited...
momo034
Schlumbergera
the tropical, epiphytic cactus...yet everyone grows...
lrn2gro
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™