Does Anyone Have Brugmansia in Memphis Area?

golfngardennut(8 NW of San Antonio)January 23, 2010

I just learned about Brugmansia and am wondering how they do here, does anyone have them around here?

g'nut

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maemae0312

Hey they do have them here. I have seen them at Dabney's and Dan West on HWY 64. Or when mine come out of dormancy I can be talked into some cuttings. I didn't take cuttings this fall so I don't have a lot hanging around like I usually do. I have seen a few in ground here, tho I have tried to leave one out all winter here and it has not survived. You can either dig up every year or they make a nice container plant. This is one of my favorite plants they smell divine.

Bookmark   January 24, 2010 at 10:11PM
laccanvas

Burgess is selling them, under "Angel Trumpets".

Bookmark   January 25, 2010 at 1:47PM
fernzilla(8)

I usually find them at Bayless Nurseries in Shelby Forest. The are usually about 12.00 in a gallon size container, and are usually in bud or bloom. So far they have only had Peaches And Cream a Variegated variety. Gorgeous White, that turns to Creamy Peach after 3 or 4 days. They scent your entire yard. Only if we have a mild Winter and you mulch HEAVY will they come back from the roots.

Bookmark   January 28, 2010 at 1:07PM
golfngardennut(8 NW of San Antonio)

Awesome, thanks!!!

g'nut

Bookmark   January 28, 2010 at 9:45PM
msbatt

My mom has them growing in the ground in zone 7A, so they should do wonderfully in Memphis. They need to have VERY GOOD drainage during the winter---cold+wet=rot.

Any OTHER winter I'd have a couple of five-gallon bucketfuls of cuttings, but I moved this fall and didn't take any. They're tremendously easy to root, although some cultivars are easier than others. Some are hardier, too.

Bookmark   January 31, 2010 at 1:24PM
More Discussions
Help with Knockout Roses
I have lost 4 mature Knockout Roses, about 10 years...
neil64
Japanese Maple Autumn Moon
I would like to know if anyone knows of a nursery in...
alan_ill
Please ID this plant grown in Nashville, TN
Hello folks!, I brought this plant back to LA (Cali)...
lizzieroux
groundcovers in SW Tennessee
I had lots of Lamium, creeping Thyme, mints in Illinois...
ryseryse_2004
New to Knoxville
I'm new to Knoxville TN and new to gardening in general....
freshvegetables
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™