tek t 5 lighting ????????

angelo_s(z6 NY)March 16, 2005

I was thinking of purchasing this system for my paludarium It's 60x18x26 and is densely planted above and below the water. has anyone ever used these lights. I was intrested in the 48" long with 4 lights 2 3000 kelvin and 2 6500 kelvin the lumen per watt rating: 5000 lumens per lamp÷ 54 watts=92.59 lumens/watt.. I need info on the lights if there ok for a paludarium and also if the lights give off uvb uva output for my reptiles vitamin D synthsis

here is a link for the lights

http://www.specialty-lights.com/960100.html

I also was wondering if a Metal Halide and High Pressure Sodium grow lights in one fixture is a better way to go or is it too powerfull

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sahoyaref(Alberta z3a)

T5's are very good for plant growth, and at 5000 lumens per bulb, those sound very good indeed! They are highly unlikely to give off any uva/uvb, so you'll still need a special bulb for that. Now assuming your tank is 60" long (not tall), you definitely do not need a metal halide or any other bulb like that. Fluo's will do you nicely, especially T5s. In fact, you won't need all of those bulbs. I would avoid the 3000K ones, and just stick to 6500K, as that is the closest to natural sun. 3000K will look very red, and make your plants and animals look weird. So if there is a fixture from the same company (or a different one) with only 2 bulbs in a 6500-6700K temp. rating, I'd get that instead.

Bookmark   March 16, 2005 at 7:08PM
angelo_s(z6 NY)

what color are the 6500k? do they have a blue tint to them?

Bookmark   March 18, 2005 at 9:06AM
sahoyaref(Alberta z3a)

No, 6500K is the colour of natural sunlight at noon. It looks like a nice, sunny day. You can go all the way up to 10,000K before you get a noticeable blue tinge. 20,000K is what most reef tank keepers use, to get their corals to fluoresce nicely.

Bookmark   March 18, 2005 at 12:28PM
More Discussions
Eggs?
Are these eggs of some sort?
sheryl19633911
Plant I.D.
Hello! I was wondering about the identity of this plant....
Jeffrey Schneider
overwintering maidenhair fern in cloche
In the late fall I dug up and potted my Maidenhair...
evday
Open Container Terrariums?
Hi, I've got a terrarium that is completely open at...
RainboWoman
Browning fern in powder at bottom of terrarium?
Hi guys, The first week (of 3 months of hainvg the...
tiffanylam38
Sponsored Products
Besa Focus 6 3/4" High Cool Dicro Sconce
Euro Style Lighting
Mirrored Four-Light Vanity Strip
$36.00 | Bellacor
Free Standing Stainless Steel Bathroom Accessory Set
TheBathOutlet
Indoor Ceiling Fans and Light: Hampton Bay Farmington 52 in. Indoor Tarnished Br
$47.97 | Home Depot
Tiffany-style Victorian Design 2-light Table Lamp
Overstock.com
Beige Drum Bronze Adjustable Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™