Eglantyne - 2 pics

iris_gal(z9 CA)December 11, 2009

I thought long and hard before I decided against Eglantyne in favor of Evelyn. Eglantyne stays a manageable size in my friend's garden and puts out whopping blooms that resemble a peony.

Eglantyne - Austin'84

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
isabelleolikier

Eglantyne is also one of my favourites. What are the perennials you associate with it ? Malva ?
The silver foliage is also a good idea of association with light pink roses.

Here is a link that might be useful: A Little Bit of Paradise

Bookmark   December 11, 2009 at 6:45AM
bethnorcal9

Iris gal, that's just beautiful!!

Bookmark   December 11, 2009 at 9:30AM
organicgardendreams(z 10)

iris girl, I love the form and color of Eglantyne. The second shot is simply stunning!

I agree with Isabelle the silver foliage goes very well with this rose. Great combination of plants! Could you tell me what the name is of the plant with the silver foliage? Thanks!

Christina

Bookmark   December 11, 2009 at 9:42AM
mashamcl

Beautiful pictures! I wonder what the purple plant is in the background of the first shot...

Masha

Bookmark   December 11, 2009 at 10:56AM
lesmc

It looks like this rose might be growing in part sun. Is this correct? The pictures are just yummy and if this rose can take a little shade, I have the perfect place for it. Thanks for the pictures. Lesley

Bookmark   December 11, 2009 at 1:26PM
jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

very nice!

Bookmark   December 11, 2009 at 2:05PM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

Thank you for the nice comments!

The grey leafed plant is the common Dusty Miller (Senecio cineraria) that is sold in pony pacs. It grows very quickly and needs cutting back periodically for the foliage to be of the proper height to flatter the rose.

In the first picture a wisteria has grown madly and is casting more shade these 2 years past. Too much for good bloom! I don't think this rose is a candidate for shade :-(

Campanula medium (cup and saucer) in the top picture between Eglantyne and Our Lady of Guadalupe (who is getting a proper amount of sun).

Isobelle ~ she's never grown Malva. There are several Salvias, a marguerite bush, statice, rose campion (Lychnis), daylilies and whatever annuals strike her fancy. She's always trying new things so from one year to the next it's a surprise. The prettiest spring annual with the pink roses is Cineraria stellata. Impossible to find in nurseries here. Excellent re-seeder.

Bookmark   December 11, 2009 at 9:05PM
phatboyrose(N/W FL. - 8)

Outstanding photography and a lovely rose. Thanks for sharing.
Harold

Bookmark   December 11, 2009 at 9:15PM
canadian_rose(zone 3a)

Those are awesome roses!! My kind of heaven!!!

Thanks for the shots!! I love the variety of colors in the 1st shot, but the 2nd shot is just as nice!!

Carol

Bookmark   December 20, 2009 at 9:24PM
rosemeadow_gardener

Iris Gal, great photos ! I am curious why you decieded against this rose ?

Bookmark   December 21, 2009 at 9:17PM
organicgardendreams(z 10)

Iris Gal, thanks for letting me know about the name of the gray leafed companion plant plus the additional cultivation tip. I guess sooner or later Dusty Miller will move into my yard, too ;-)! I think it will go very well with some of my pink roses.

Christina

Bookmark   December 21, 2009 at 9:33PM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

RoseMeadow --- I badly wanted a button-eyed rose. For my limited space Eglantyne made more sense but the pictures of Evelyn finally swayed me. I knew I'd be disappointed by using photos as a criteria and I'd replace her with Eglantyne. Instead I'm in love. Doesn't matter she's not a bloom machine. And I'm willing to live with any octopus growth.

Christina ~ you'll enjoy the carefreeness of Dusty Miller. I'm hoping a 4' hybrid will be developed! Such a soft cute plant grows to 6' in a couple of years here. And then the yellow bloom disrupts my pastel color scheme :-)

Bookmark   December 22, 2009 at 10:52PM
More Discussions
Just Joey
Sometimes I have trouble catching the scrumptous salmon...
irisgal_z9
More roses for me!! Wahahahaah!!!
Yes, i get that cackle during spring...... Here is...
lorrihz
Roses "I"
I was surprised at how many "I" roses I actually...
bethnorcal9
Homere and Grandmother's Hat Blooms
Snipped these to walk around the (very soggy) garden...
Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
Desert heat brings blooms that are sweet
(I had to think of a new rhyme, since we do not get...
lorrihz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™