New to gardening

kristenchace84May 25, 2014

Hello, this is my very first year having a garden , I live in an apartment so I did a raised bed on my patio. I went with the SFG method but I think I messed up. I planted spinach and black seeded simpson lettuce behind my kale and collards. I just transplanted all the plants about 2 weeks ago and they are just now showing some growth. My question is should I leave it like it is or pull it up and re arrange it all?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Weicker(6a PA)

Why would you rearrange it? If shading is a concern, don't worry about it. Almost any leafy green will tolerate some shade, and the shade will help with bolting.

You're fine.

I have black seeded simpson growing under/between my tomatoes, as well as under a cucumber trellis. No harm.

Bookmark   May 28, 2014 at 12:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
slowjane CA/ Sunset 21

Hi Kristen. I'm not sure I understand your question. Did you plant all these plants from transplants you bought? And why do you think you need to rearrange it? If there were slow to start that's okay - they're just working on roots, rather than leaves and it takes a minute to get going. ;)

My concern is that it is late in the season for those plants, but I'm in SoCal so depending on your climate it might be fine!

Bookmark   May 28, 2014 at 1:17PM
More Discussions
Raised kidney shaped garden
I have a kidney shaped raised garden that I have planted...
charlieboring
Corn in sfg-how deep do roots need to grow?
My sfg is only 4x4. I plan this season, only using...
growingup
How deep does a raised bed need to be?
I'm new to SFG and was wondering if the depth of the...
pinkkpearls
Weed Barrier
I was excited to find this forum. I started dabbling...
mtnrunner
Mel's Mix versus 100% Compost
Hello all, I am starting some boxes for growing. I...
bsntech
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™