Help with worm ID

rlkennerly(8)May 15, 2010

Can anyone tell me what these worms are? They are crawling all around the base of my squash plants(but they haven't really bothered the zukes or any of my other veggies). Are they dangerous to my plants? If they are, how do I get rid of them? My dad suggested diatomaceous earth, but they aren't really soft bodied worms. They're more like tiny millipedes. Maybe they are millipedes, but I thought millipedes were bigger.

Thanks,

Rachel

Here is a link that might be useful: LookMaNoWeeds

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alouwomack(Zone 7)

Sorry Rachel, I don't know what they are. You might try posting it in the pests & disease section if someone here doesn't help you out...

-Amber

Bookmark   May 15, 2010 at 2:47PM
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

Worms don't have legs. Those are millipedes.

Dan

Bookmark   May 15, 2010 at 6:53PM
rlkennerly(8)

Thanks, Dan. After I posted I did a little more research on millipedes and found out they were indeed millipedes. I just had never seen little tiny ones before - only big ones.

I also read they can be harmful to fruit that lies in the ground, but i never could find anything that told me how to get them out of my garden.

Anyone else ever been overrun with millipedes before??

Here is a link that might be useful: LookMaNoWeeds

Bookmark   May 15, 2010 at 8:32PM
curt_grow

As a vermicomposter I would say you are doing something right in your garden. The millipedes and worms are helping to break down dead vegetative matter. Yes I was overran this spring. I had to clean out some of the unfinished compost that I put in my beds last fall to attract worms. Then I topped with Mel's mix that was stored in my garage over winter. I think that the worms stayed, but the millipedes seem to have moved. hope I this helps some.

Curt~#

Bookmark   May 15, 2010 at 11:43PM
More Discussions
Vermiculite Source List - Throughout USA
I had a hard time finding vermiculite, so I have compiled...
angela12345
Sub Irrigation Planter
I've read two ways to build these. One with gravel...
tedeboy
Onion spacing- 16/sq ft vs. Dixondale recommendation
Dixondale farms suggests 4" between onions, and...
mmqchdygg
Safe insecticide: Olive Oil, Dish Soap, Water
I'm going to try a safe insecticide first before going...
travelsfo
Skinny yam harvest
Hi everyone, If anyone can share some wisdom about...
ashita
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™