when to plant..?

nanna8February 29, 2008

A newbie to the forums, but could someone tell me when I can plant potatoes in Southeast TN (halfway between Knoxville and Chattanooga, right off I-75) I remember as a child my dad out in the garden in February planting potatoes and covering them with straw and mulch, but wonder if they won't rot in the cold ground. waited last year until ground was warm, had a couple of good rains then nada and a very pitiful crop. Garden is mulched, have plenty of mulch and cardboard to add. Seems like I remember dad always sprinkled his cut seed potatoes with lime and let them dry out a day or two before planting. Is this the way to go..and how early? What else can be planted now? Would like to get ahead of the summer drought (as predicted). Temp tonight is 38, last night in the low 20s. Thanks for any advice

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

The UT Agricultural Extension recommends planting Irish Potatoes anytime in March (see link below). Hey, that's tomorrow!

There's a lot of gardening info at the UT Ag. Ext. Site: http://www.utextension.utk.edu/publications/homeGarden/default.asp

Maybe what your dad put on the potatoes was some type of fungicide. You should at least let the cut surfaces heal over for a day or two before planting to reduce the chance of rot. Here's one of many helpful links you can find on the internet by Googling "growing Irish potatoes": http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/1995/3-17-1995/potato.html

Here is a link that might be useful: UT Ag Ext's Guide to Spring-Planted, Cool-Season Vegetables

Bookmark   February 29, 2008 at 8:55AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nanna8

Thanks for the link...lots of good info there. Am going to cut potatoes tonight and wait for the rain to stop and a rare, warm sunny day/ Thanks again.

Bookmark   February 29, 2008 at 10:07PM
More Discussions
Amaryllis in Tennessee
Can Amaryllis stay in the ground near Nashville TN?...
ryseryse_2004
Japanese Maple Autumn Moon
I would like to know if anyone knows of a nursery in...
alan_ill
Composting Leaves
I have a huge pile of leaves, trying to speed up composting...
maternut
New Gardener Looking for Help :D
Hey guys, I'm just an average teenager looking to get...
GardenerLee
Please ID this plant grown in Nashville, TN
Hello folks!, I brought this plant back to LA (Cali)...
lizzieroux
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™