Moss - Mold? - Wet Environ

rwknopeMay 12, 2007

I recently bought "Rainforst Moss" from black jungle, put it down on moist "dendro bedding - Coco Bedding" and it seems to be doing alright, but I have noticed that a piece of Ghostwood that I have near it is starting to get a pale green (Mold?) maybe? Or is this how moss starts to spread? Do I need better ventilation or air circulation?

I am very new to this and this is making me a bit nervous. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rwknope

A little background info. I have an exoterra 18 x 18 x 24. 1/2 ground cover 1/2 water. I have a Terra Lite base substrate for the land which rises 1 inch above the waterline. Gravel put down in the water area, a reptiflo 200 pump in the water. Nothing circulating the air such as a fan and so on. The moss covers 90% of the ground area leading up to the ghostwood, which acts as a border for the shoreline.

Bookmark   May 12, 2007 at 10:51AM
dirtmonkey(z8 OR)

Sounds like algae or possibly early stages of moss, they look similar. Even actual molds and fungi on wood (white, gray, other colors than green) are normal in a new tarrarium though- sometimes little mushrooms will pop up. It's a usual part of getting everything in balance. It almost always all clears up on its own, after a few weeks to a couple months.

Bookmark   June 3, 2007 at 11:17PM
jmcat(5)

I'm glad to hear that! I appear to be starting mushroom farming myself, and am not especially happy about it. One tank is new (made late May), but the other one is one year old.
-Jmcat

Bookmark   August 5, 2007 at 6:23PM
More Discussions
Browning fern in powder at bottom of terrarium?
Hi guys, The first week (of 3 months of hainvg the...
tiffanylam38
Small ferns
I'm thinking about starting a terrarium in an old 10...
queenb
Fungus in container
i am trying to grow a terrarium for the first time....
babcia
Feathery growths on plant
I'm new to terrariums, started with a kit someone gave...
rkmw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™