Viburnum hedge

junebugntn(7B)February 9, 2013

Last year I planted a row of mostly Allegany Viburnum with a couple Davidii and Prague for a privacy hedge. The Prague and Davidii have lost all their leaves over the winter. I thought they would be evergreen. The Allegany have a few shriveled up leaves. The hedge row is in full sun and exposure. Is this the best I can expect from these plants? I thought they would provide more privacy and be more evergreen. Thinking about removing some and replacing with hollies and/or little Gem Mag.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GreenEarthLawns(7/East TN)

Allegheny is typically semi-evergreen, Davidii has some semi-evergreen tendencies but Prague is typically solidly in the evergreen category. My guess is that some of the colder nights may have been enough to stimulate the leaf drop.

Mixing in some hollies would definitely give you the winter privacy if you can tolerate working with the leaves! The Little Gem might just need a little more care to keep it to the height of the viburnums, as it can grow to 20 feet or so, but it can definitely be pruned into a shrub form with a little effort.

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 5:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

We are on the cold edge of Viburnum davidii's hardiness range, so it would be shocking if it were evergreen here.

It's not uncommon for Prague to loose leaves, but I don't understand why yours would have totally defoliated (if they're still alive). Mine still have plenty of leaves. Hopefully yours will be OK.

There are MUCH better Magnolia grandiflora cultivars for this application. 'Little Gem' is well known but is loosing favor with the pros due to better options. 'Kay Parris' is a good example of a better selection. 'Southern Charm' (aka Teddy Bear) is another possibility.

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 8:04PM
More Discussions
A couple of palms almost grew in Knoxville
This past year, a new Holiday Inn appeared on Papermill...
anntn6b
Help with Knockout Roses
I have lost 4 mature Knockout Roses, about 10 years...
neil64
Please ID this plant grown in Nashville, TN
Hello folks!, I brought this plant back to LA (Cali)...
lizzieroux
groundcovers in SW Tennessee
I had lots of Lamium, creeping Thyme, mints in Illinois...
ryseryse_2004
plants to give away.
I live in Ringgold, GA near Chattanooga. I have some...
mrlynn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™