You think my Needle palm is doing alright?

plateau_boyFebruary 9, 2013

I've been growing it here on the plateau in Tn for 2 or 3 years so far. I covered it heavily with mulch and maybe bubble wrap the first winter (lowest temp was 8 degrees), but it seemed like it almost died that year, all its leaves turned white. I don't think it lost any leaves last winter, I covered it with a little less mulch. This winter, it has been doing great with only a little mulch I put on in January as protection, as I've only seen the temp drop to the teens a couple times. All its leaves are still green except a few really old leaves that got a little brown. But, one thing that bothers me is I can't tell if its central frond is still alive. It popped up in the fall and hasn't grown since. I hope that means the tree is still alright. I have some photos I took today if I can figure out how to post them, I tried to show the frond but it is hard to see. If anyone has experience with these palms, let me know please.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
midtn(7a TN)

My own experience is I don't baby mine at all. I have had mine for maybe 5 years now and it is doing great. I don't cover or mulch it at all. There shouldn't have been weather cold enough to bother it the last few years. Maybe if i see temps dropping close to zero or less I would worry. I'm near Nashville so I am maybe 3 or 4 degrees warmer than the plateau. My Sabal Birmingham has done well also.

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 9:01PM
midtn(7a TN)

My own experience is I don't baby mine at all. I have had mine for maybe 5 years now and it is doing great. I don't cover or mulch it at all. There shouldn't have been weather cold enough to bother it the last few years. Maybe if i see temps dropping close to zero or less I would worry. I'm near Nashville so I am maybe 3 or 4 degrees warmer than the plateau. My Sabal Birmingham has done well also.

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 9:02PM
plateau_boy

Thanks for your post midtn. I still feel new to growing 'exotic' plants here. I heard that the needle palm is less hardy when it is young and should be covered up its first winter. I bought it really small in a pot, it could fit in my hand. I covered it up in January more because of the freezing and the snow rather then temps this winter. I'm not really sure how well they handle that. I've also not had the best experience growing palms here. I had a mexican and some other type of palm tree but the constant moisture and freezes killed them off I'm afraid.. They both survived about two winters each. Also, my needle palm didn't do so well its first winter, I guess cause it was so young.

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 10:19PM
plateau_boy

Here the frond I was talking about below. I really can't tell if it is dead or dormant. Please someone help, it would be much appreciated. I heard the central frond is like the heart of a palm tree. Is it dead or alive and does it matter?

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 10:50PM
More Discussions
mtps
Don't miss The Middle Tennessee Plant Swap this Saturday!!! https://www.facebook.com/groups/64785223352/ http://www.midtnplantswap.com/...
bigorangevol
Amaryllis in Tennessee
Can Amaryllis stay in the ground near Nashville TN?...
ryseryse_2004
Help with Knockout Roses
I have lost 4 mature Knockout Roses, about 10 years...
neil64
Pollinator habitat
I live in Virginia, but I am installing a pollinator...
Nell
questions from new TN gardener
I'm not a new gardener but new Z7, southwest TN. Will...
ryseryse_2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™