Volunteer Gardener mulch recommendations

krikitFebruary 21, 2007

I saw on the Volunteer Gardener's saturday show that it is better to use pine mulch, pine straw mulch, or cedar mulch. Unfortunately the place where I usually get mulch by the scoop only sells hardwood, and told me that to get these other types of mulch you have to buy it by the bag from places like Lowe's. Is that true, or is there a bulk supplier in the Knoxville (preferably NE Knox) area?

Thanks,

Frances

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anntn6b(z6b TN)

Frances,
I wandered onto a composting site several years ago from Texas and it argued persuasively that the best mulch is from the local trees as it has the local trace minerals, etc. that won't be replenished if ...well, for example, pine mulch from sandy soils come in.
Pine needles do have the advantage of acidifying our soils, disadvantages include hurting when they stick me when weeds do come up through the needles as they break down. Pine bark ....well a lot like ground up pallets.
I'm really happy with the mulch we get at Shamrock Organics, which seems to the be source of a lot of local mulch sellers, who double the prices.
(I'm not a fan of pine forests, except they grow good azaleas as understory plants.)
Ann

Bookmark   February 22, 2007 at 7:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
irisaddict(6b/7 TN)

Where is the best place to buy low priced mulch and/or compost in the middle Tennessee area?
Does anyone know anything about the place south of downtown Nashville, I think, that beats ups hundreds of pumpkins in the fall and then sells compost made from them later?

Bookmark   February 23, 2007 at 8:26AM
More Discussions
Williamson County Master Gardener Plant Sale and Garden Expo
Williamson County Master Gardner Association Invites...
bbhillarts
New to Chattanooga TN
Moved here about a month ago and can't wait to garden....
poppiesandmarigolds
Please ID this plant grown in Nashville, TN
Hello folks!, I brought this plant back to LA (Cali)...
lizzieroux
New to Knoxville
I'm new to Knoxville TN and new to gardening in general....
freshvegetables
mtps
Don't miss The Middle Tennessee Plant Swap this Saturday!!! https://www.facebook.com/groups/64785223352/ http://www.midtnplantswap.com/...
bigorangevol
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™