Growing Lavender: Soil ..HELP

laccanvasFebruary 4, 2010

What kind of soil do I use for lavenders in containers and clay soil? I am wanting to plant my lavender in the ground but my soil is clay and wet..so I'm wanting to dig alot of my bed/soil out and mix it with sand and organics..but I don't know where to begin. Help.

I have been reading alot about lavenders needing alkaline well drained soil... How do I make my semi-clay and semi-humus soil fit for lavender in ground planting?

What is the best soil composition I should use?? Any suggestions...brands and organic matter etc??

Thanks,

Knoxville, Tennessee

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
loudbaby(6a)

Don't know if this will help you, but, I did grow lavender last year - near Nashville. My flower bed had about 10 inches of compost and manure mix. Underneath, of course, is our wonderful tennessee clay which i mixed with the compost and manure as much as i could. The lavender did great and was very healthy, even with all the rain. I expect it to come back on its own this year. Can't wait!!! LOVE the smell of lavender.

Bookmark   February 6, 2010 at 5:42PM
april_h_o(Z6 Nashville)

Good drainage is a must - a raised bed is a good way to go if you aren't on a slope. The other important thing (besides sunshine) is alkaline soil. We have that in many places in Nasvhille, but it's not likely that's what you have in Knoxville. I would recommend getting a soil test - if your PH is anything lower than 6.5 or 7.0, you are going to have difficulty growing lavender. It's not impossible - but you would have to replace a great deal of soil and treat it regularly to keep the PH high.

Bookmark   February 9, 2010 at 9:18AM
anntn6b(z6b TN)

A friend in west Knoxville has kept Lavender and Rosemary alive for many years. Each year she replants them in fresh grit with a very small amount of soil added. Lavender goes in chicken grit that is crushed up shells; rosemary goes in granite chichken grit. I think she gets them at an ag supply place over near Oak Ridge.

Bookmark   February 10, 2010 at 3:29PM
ladybug37091(z7 Tennessee)

I love lavender! Unfortunately in my experience they look great for about three seasons then they buckle from the humidity. Is it worth it? Heck yes! I will dig a twenty dollar hole for a two dollar plant that is short lived because they are so intoxicating. My method is a third part sand, a third part compost, a third part native soil. Mulch with sand and you will increase the oil content therefore increasing the lovely aroma!

Bookmark   February 22, 2010 at 9:39AM
More Discussions
Memphis Area Master Gardeners Spring Fling 2015
Memphis Area Master Gardeners Kick-Off the 2015 Gardening...
barbcull
Hardy mums from MN?
I had these from Faribault Growers in Northern IL and...
ryseryse_2004
New to Chattanooga TN
Moved here about a month ago and can't wait to garden....
poppiesandmarigolds
Williamson County Master Gardener Plant Sale and Garden Expo
Williamson County Master Gardner Association Invites...
bbhillarts
vegetables/herbs in Tennessee
What are you planting now? What have you already...
ryseryse_2004
Sponsored Products
Planterworx Home True Square Planter - PW-202020-SILVER
$289.91 | Hayneedle
Franklin Rectangular Rustic Brown Chairside Table - 202-OT1021
$216.00 | Hayneedle
Design Toscano Roman Corinthian Capital Architectural Stone Stool Plinth Multico
$187.95 | Hayneedle
Serena & Lily Fouta Robe
Serena & Lily
Roots Organics Trinity Carbo Catalyst - ROT2.5G
$52.99 | Hayneedle
Area Rug: Angelo:HOME Moss 5' x 7' 6"
Home Depot
Safety 1st SleekRide Travel System - Sail Away - TR254BYM
$224.99 | Hayneedle
Ulm Dresser - Birch - Spot on Square
$850.00 | HORNE
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™