Costa Rican Plant IDs?

Cdfortin(GA)May 10, 2005

Hello all-I have some detective work for you! When I was in Costa Rica a few weeks back I took pics of some plants I thought would look good in a terrarium. Problem is, now I can't really identify them. If anyone has any ideas on names...especially IDs for the bromeliads and groundcover in the 1st pic, that would be great. Thanks!!!

Danny

Here is a link that might be useful: Costa Rica Plant Pics-unknown ID's

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bchaitoff(6a OH)

One of them is an antherium of sorts - the one with the big heart-shaped leaves (the vine). Although I do not know the exact species of antherium. You can pick those up at a local greehouse.

-Brian

Bookmark   May 13, 2005 at 4:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sahoyaref(Alberta z3a)

The broms with the variegated leaves (bars of dark and light green) are probably vriesias. They will get a sword-shaped bract/flower spike. The flatter broms with pink or red centres, and the smaller ones beside them (in the first pic) are neos. I think the full name is neoreglia. It would be almost impossible to identify the exact cultivar names, so you'll just have to look around at garden centres and on the Internet for others that you like.

Picture #2 looks like it could be a wandering jew. Normally they are purple and silver, but if grown in lower light, they will be green and silver.

Picture #4 is a tree fern of some kind. Not a staghorn. Looks a bit like asplendum nidus (sp? Bird's Nest fern), but not quite like it.

I don't know what the others are. Check the link below for lots of fern pics. They also sell them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fern Factory

Bookmark   May 14, 2005 at 4:43PM
More Discussions
Browning fern in powder at bottom of terrarium?
Hi guys, The first week (of 3 months of hainvg the...
tiffanylam38
Best micro-ferns/mosses for a SMALL closed plant terrarium
Hi, I am new to this hobby but very into it and excited...
momo034
Small figurines
Hi everyone. I have gone nuts, after reading a book...
popi_gw
Starting a Terrascape 5ft now.
I have just commenced a 5ft Terrascape, its been in...
keithgh
Minature Mosses and vines for Terrarium backing
I am in the process of starting a large L5ft, x W15ins...
keithgh
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™