Habba Mist - Cheap Misting Solution?

gzollingerJune 27, 2003

Anyone have any experience with this product:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=8&pCatId=9738

It looks like a nice self contained misting unit for only $55. I'm curious if you could run more then one misting head off of it. Anyone get there hands on one of these yet?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ajaykamath(VIC Aust)

Is this for a terrarium ?. If this is so, you would not need a mister if your design is near water tight. Well designed/built terrariums need water about once a month (a few teaspoons).

Bookmark   July 2, 2003 at 1:49AM
gzollinger

I am actually building a vivarium, so it won't be water tight, I actually want it to have good air exchange so I can grow some micro orchid species. I have actually built my own homemade misting system using an old 12V windshield washer pump from a car, and some drip irigation parts. My only problem is that I can't find an auto timer that would turn the pump on for 15 seconds at a time several times a day. Everything I can find has a one minute minimum. I am worried that the Windshield Washer pump will burn up with repeated 1 minute runs. Because of this concern, I am looking for a cheap, effective alternative that I can use in the event of pump failure.

Bookmark   July 3, 2003 at 10:41AM
paul_(z5 MI)

gzollinger, you may want to contact their customer service department [if you haven't already done so]. I would expect that should be able to answer that question and also your 15 second mist query. Be interesting to hear what they have to say...

: )

Bookmark   July 3, 2003 at 10:20PM
orchidsncats(z6 NY)

I am thinking of ordering one of these, and I was wondering if you ended up getting it? Thanks, Jocelyn

Bookmark   July 25, 2004 at 2:28PM
mrbreeze(z6/7 OK)

I'm highly curious as well. I would think that using two or three heads and having them come on a few times per day would exhaust that 28 oz. reservoir pretty quick. Seems like it could be a pain to constantly refill it...much like my humidifier is a pain to refill all the time w/ a 2.5 gallon capacity. But then again...it also might be easy to use a different reservoir with that unit. If it uses some kind of siphon hose I don't see why that couldn't be stuck into a larger container. Hmmmmm.....interesting. C'mon Sahoy or somebody else...order one and report!!! :)

Bookmark   July 26, 2004 at 12:31AM
sahoyaref(Alberta z3a)

LOL MrB! I don't need to buy stuff like that because my hubby can rig something up for cheaper! He's a real handy guy. He says you (gzollinger) should be able to get better timers at an electrical wholesaler that sells to the public. Apparently, he could get ones that can be timed down to the nanosecond! Besides, I checked the website with that product, and they only ship to the states, so I would be unable to order one. Why don't you order one, moneybags! =)

Bookmark   July 26, 2004 at 3:43PM
mrbreeze(z6/7 OK)

I caint...I done spent all muh money on orchids :(

Bookmark   July 26, 2004 at 10:25PM
More Discussions
moss landscapes under glass
Hi, Although I'm a beginner at bonsai I have been growing...
engwerda
small terrarium moss problem
I have a tiny terrarium with only one small Moon valley...
Connecticutian18
Where to Buy Miniature Oak Leaf Ficus (Ficus Pumila Quercifolia)?
Hello! I've purchased Ficus Pumila Quercifolia (see...
Jeffrey Schneider
Self-contained, Closed System Vivariums
This is my first posting; apologies if I've overlooked...
Rainbird_WI
Best micro-ferns/mosses for a SMALL closed plant terrarium
Hi, I am new to this hobby but very into it and excited...
momo034
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™