Termites in raised bed...

sanbpate(West TN)May 9, 2009

Hi

I was planting eggplant in my raised bed today and I noticed termites in my bed. Should I be very concerned. This is my first time planting in raised bed. I used untreated pine to build my box. Do I need to do anything I am sorta freaking out....

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
daves_girl(7 GA)

Are you certain they are termites? Could they be flying ants?

Kym

Bookmark   May 10, 2009 at 12:47PM
engineeredgarden(7, nw Alabama)

I have termites in my bed, too. The funny thing is - I saw an ant carrying one today. Gosh, I love those ants! Ha! My bed is made from cedar, and sure...it worries me a bit.

EG

Bookmark   May 10, 2009 at 8:52PM
gmreeves

I had termites in my beds. I was sitting on the deck when they all started hatching. Huge swarms of termites getting blown through the air. My termite guy was scheduled for the next day anyway for the yearly termite bond exam so I asked him. He said it wasn't anything to be concerned about but he would let his boss know to see if they wanted to come back out and spray. The next day they came out and sprayed just as a precaution. He said that I didn't need to worry because they weren't in my house and only in the wood by the garden. He said they are all over and we just don't know it. Still makes me nervous.

Bookmark   May 11, 2009 at 5:27PM
jeremyjs

The only time it's a real concern is if your bed is butted up against the house. Otherwise it's not really a concern. They will inhabit almost any non treated wood in contact with the ground and other than spraying chemicals or using chemical impregnated boards can't really be avoided. I figure so long as the wood lasts 5-6 years it's all good and relatively easy to replace when the time comes.

Bookmark   May 11, 2009 at 6:02PM
More Discussions
What should I use to fill my raised beds?
I'm going to be making some raised beds in my backyard...
hazeldazel
staining wood for raised beds.
I'm wanting to build a raised bed and first went out...
johnmcd348
Looking for bloggers
I am looking for folk interested in writing about square...
Andrew_Green
pine vs cedar for raised bed
I am building 2 4'x8' raised beds. Last year I built...
rersoap
Vermiculite Source List - Throughout USA
I had a hard time finding vermiculite, so I have compiled...
angela12345
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™