The McCartney Rose

sara_ann-z6bokDecember 2, 2013

I was very pleased with The McCartney Rose this season. This picture was taken around mid-July and by the end of the season it was huge.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sara_ann-z6bok

By early September I had to stretch to get this picture at the very top of the bush.

Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 8:21PM
lesmc

This is such a beautiful rose and such a good "bloomer" in my garden. I will say that this rose is huge here. HUGE! Thanks for sharing this. Lesley

Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 8:21PM
nanadollZ7 SWIdaho(Zone 7 Boise SW Idaho)

What a beautiful rose, Sara-Ann, and I have to say it reminds me in form of its offspring, Frederic Mistral, though MR is a darker pink. I'll bet it smells wonderful, too, just like FM. And they both share the "hugeness" trait, too, it sounds like. Diane

Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 8:41PM
sara_ann-z6bok

Thank you Lesley and Diane - Lesley, I was wondering how long you've had yours? Yes, Diane it does have a wonderful fragrance. I don't think I have ever had a rose get as big as it did its first season and I love it when a hybrid tea is generous with its blooms, it seems to have that trait. At least for its first year it has been an overall good rose.

Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 6:57AM
lesmc

Sara-Ann, I have had The McCartney rose 3 years. I agree that it is so generous with blooms and the scent is lovely. A real stand out star in the garden. I know you will continue to enjoy yours as it gets better every year! lesley

Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 1:36PM
sara_ann-z6bok

Thank you Lesley. I am looking forward to seeing what it does in the future.

Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 7:09PM
henryinct

I grew McCartney many years in Z6b Connecticut and it was one of my favorites. It was very vigorous, very fragrant and a good bloomer but best of all it had good resistance to black spot. Here in Z10a SoCal it is very susceptible to powdery mildew and probably not worth keeping.

Bookmark   December 5, 2013 at 1:31PM
canadian_rose(zone 3a)

I love that pink - it's my favorite rose color. Thanks for showing your The McCartney Rose. I've been thinking lately of getting it. Hmmmm.....
Carol

Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 7:03PM
sara_ann-z6bok

Carol - Thank you, I think you will be pleased with it, it does seem to grow really fast.

Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 7:31PM
abby54

The McCartney rose is the exception to the rule that roses named after celebrities are not worth the effort. It is a vigorous, tall plant that bears gorgeous pink blooms in abundance the first year and every year! My first meeting with one was at the Huntington Estate near Los Angeles. Of over 300 varieties if roses, McCartney was taller with more beautiful greenery and more perfect, fragrant blooms on that October day. Nothing else was even close. Its only problem that I can find? It cannot survive cold, dry winds. Zone 7 with generous protection if you are lucky. But if I find a space where it survives, it is well worth the effort.

Bookmark   February 2, 2014 at 12:01PM
More Discussions
Name that Rose Game! Part 2
Here goes. Thanks Sara for suggesting we keep this...
kublakan
Roses "R"
Okey dokey.. I'm getting behind here with the alphabets... Here's...
bethnorcal9
Lady of Shalott
This spring I could not take my eyes off this rose...
iris_gal
Is this Red Fountain?
A neighbor has this neglected shrub-like rose, which...
mantis__oh
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™