When to start seeds?

Lilyfinch z7 mid tnFebruary 23, 2013

Hi everyone! I'm new to tennessee (spring hill) but not new to gardening. I'm currently renting until we find the right place. I notice it's been so lovely and warm, so I'm wondering when would be a good time to sprinkle some zinnia seeds ? I have a area in full sun that would be perfect for them. In Pa i had a friend who just sprinkled them into the soil and brushed them in with her garden tools.
Also I plan on starting sunflowers as well, if you have any input on when to start those (if it's different) that would be helpful. I usually buy my annuals in flats but I think I'd like to save some money this year. Especially since we may be moving again in August . Regardless , I still need some pretty flowers! Thanks !!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
IBsmilin(7a)

Welcome to Spring Hill! We've lived in Spring Hill for 3 years and just last month bought a home about 5 miles down 31 in northern Columbia. I'm not going to be able to tell you the best time to plant seeds because I'm a beginner, but I've been researching as well to see when I can start seeds indoors for the vegetable garden. Right about now is the time for that, from what I'm understanding. Anyone else have any insight on that? I've already seen some budding trees and am SO excited that Spring is just around the corner!

Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 2:12PM
louisianagal(z7bMS)

My understanding is to wait until it is consistently warm outside and the soil is warm as well for zinnias and sunflowers; so like May. You know it can still be 29 degrees at nite and frost thru mid or late April is possible.

Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 10:27PM
JonCraig(6b)

*Average* last frost for this area is April 15. (I remember it by thinking "evil, frosty, tax day" or whatever...) Most seeds will say things like "start indoors 6 weeks before risk of frost is gone", that kinda thing.

Depends a lot on what you're growing, of course. Last year (and again this year), I'm planning to grow a nice cool-weather crop of lettuces, etc. So I'm not overly anxious to start tomatoes, squash, etc. If I started them mid March, I'd have plants way too big to handle by the time my lettuce bolts.

FYI - I like to direct-sow sunflowers, cukes, beans, and squash. They come up nice & quick, and I don't have to fuss with hardening them off before planting day.

Hope that helps a bit... your mileage may vary. :-)

Bookmark   February 27, 2013 at 4:26PM
More Discussions
Growing Grapes in Tennessee
In hopes of getting some conversation going in our...
brandon7 TN_zone
Memphis Area Master Gardeners Spring Fling 2015
Memphis Area Master Gardeners Kick-Off the 2015 Gardening...
barbcull
Pollinator habitat
I live in Virginia, but I am installing a pollinator...
Nell
New to Chattanooga TN
Moved here about a month ago and can't wait to garden....
poppiesandmarigolds
Which Fruit Trees to plant?
I just purchased 3 acres and a small house. The entire...
hopin4rain
Sponsored Products
Waterfall Shower Panel Tower System with Body Jets
Hudson Reed
Dalton Bed
Grandin Road
Cobblestone Rug 8' x 11' - BEIGE
$1,099.00 | Horchow
Sea Gull Lighting Wall Mounted Lambert Hill 1-Light Outdoor Black Wall Fixture
$62.91 | Home Depot
Porto Marble Dome Pendant
$301.50 | Bellacor