What type of gecko do i have in me terrarium???

Caboolture_sth_qld(QLD Aust)July 24, 2003

I have two small geckos in a terrarium that i need identifying. The male is just over 9cm long with the female just a bit shorter. They have a slightly spiny tail. They can change between a dark almost black tone to a light flesh colour. The male normally sits on the glass and the female usually hides in the rocks. They are in a small 1 gallon tank at the moment but in the next couple of days will be moved in to a 14 gallon tank. I have heard thay are some type of rock gecko but internet searches have been rather unsuccessful.

Regards John

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paul_(z5 MI)

John, your best bet is to either contact a local herp society or to post some pics. If Chris happens by he might be able to id them. Safe to assume they are Aust natives as opposed to imports?

The forums at kingsnake.com would also be a good place to post [again pics will be helpful]

Cheers
: )

Here is a link that might be useful: kingsnake

Bookmark   July 24, 2003 at 10:54AM
ignoraneousspiceous(z8 FL)

House Geckos?

Bookmark   August 23, 2003 at 10:29PM
jordan_and_slippy(NW USA)

If they're semi-friendly, why not (gently) take one or both to a pet store or someone with herp knowledge for identification, or post photos on the forums?

Bookmark   September 12, 2004 at 5:14PM
cajunbird(8 La.)

It sounds like you have House Geckos. Try the link below and see if these are what yours look like.
Anna

Here is a link that might be useful: House Geckos

Bookmark   September 13, 2004 at 2:00AM
ladybug_guam(z11 Guam)

They sure do sound like 'house geckos'. They are very common here, in Guam, they are all over, the locals say that they bring good luck, when you find them in the house, notice I said 'when' and not 'if', because, sooner or later they'll get in. I leave the top of my terrarium about 1/2" open during the day, and guess what? found a baby one in there, very happy I may add. They are cute but loud, boy, are they ever! LOL!
Ana :)

Bookmark   September 13, 2004 at 10:26AM
jordan_and_slippy(NW USA)

You should drop the occasional cricket in there to convince them to stay, provided the lid gets closed.

Bookmark   September 13, 2004 at 10:42PM
More Discussions
moss landscapes under glass
Hi, Although I'm a beginner at bonsai I have been growing...
engwerda
Small figurines
Hi everyone. I have gone nuts, after reading a book...
popi_gw
Terrarium Heating Mat
I'm new to the terrarium world and would like to start...
bradycarnahan
Fungus gnats
Hey everyone, I recently turned a 10 gal aquarium into...
lrn2gro
Minature Mosses and vines for Terrarium backing
I am in the process of starting a large L5ft, x W15ins...
keithgh
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™