New type of terrarium?

zdufranJuly 2, 2007

I am thinking of starting a terrarium with a different design from anything I have seen before. I assume that someone has done it before though and just wondering if anyone is aware of this style. Takashi Amano is a plant and aquarium enthusiast that made the planted "nature aquarium" famous. Sometimes these designs are very simple and are smaller versions of nature scenes (Iwagumi-style). You can see a picture here:

http://aqua-pets.com.tw/aquapets/images/aq-pic/e-26/260101.jpg

Similarly, the art of bonsai trees are usually very simple with a center focus on a single element, usually with a nice green moss surface to emulate a larger picture of nature on a very small scale. Here's an example: http://www.trapagon.com/dig-img/D2x/Bonsai_0071.jpg

This is what I would like to do with a terrarium. Rather than the common terrarium style that is very full and lush, I would like to create a small terrarium that highlights a single plant, surrounded by a rock or two and a "field" of moss. Has anyone done this before?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
Don't see why not . The great thing about terrariums is they can be or not whatever you want..IMO it's alway better to have a "theme " where you try to emulate a natural scene.whether tropical, temperate or whatever. Amano and the Dutch methods have turned these into works of art.
Have seen single orchids growing on driftwood , flue pipe
mineral specimens or even skulls. With or without other plants .Contained in a bell jar makes a fantastic display.
I particularly like the "whole" environment and favor paludariums. Water features make the display much more interesting.
Did you have a particulr Idea in mind?? gary

Bookmark   July 3, 2007 at 5:32AM
zdufran

My idea is to make a sort of Iwagumi-style terrarium. I would like to have rolling hills of moss with some rocks jutting out and 1 small plant (off-center) that looks rather tree-like. Here's the link to a concept drawing I did.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   July 6, 2007 at 9:38AM
zdufran

Oops! Here is the correct link for the picture:

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   July 6, 2007 at 12:54PM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

hello
Should be fairly simple to accomplish. What species did you want to use ? gary

Bookmark   July 8, 2007 at 6:11AM
zdufran

I haven't decided on the plant to use. I'm still brainstorming. Do you have any ideas?

Bookmark   July 8, 2007 at 3:57PM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hello
Well' there would be many choices ,What kind of temps will you maintain?? I can't keep anything but tropicals in my location. Would be a great setup for a dwarfed tree or any tree-like types maybe with selaginella as a ground cover. Maybe some mineral specimens showing through??
Since you want such a simple setup maybe select the "tree" and design around that?? gary

Bookmark   July 9, 2007 at 6:23AM
More Discussions
Small figurines
Hi everyone. I have gone nuts, after reading a book...
popi_gw
small terrarium moss problem
I have a tiny terrarium with only one small Moon valley...
Connecticutian18
Starting a Terrascape 5ft now.
I have just commenced a 5ft Terrascape, its been in...
keithgh
Where to Buy Miniature Oak Leaf Ficus (Ficus Pumila Quercifolia)?
Hello! I've purchased Ficus Pumila Quercifolia (see...
Jeffrey Schneider
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™