Moving to Rockwood - Roane County, TN

lhendri479March 14, 2009

Just wondering if there is anyone here from Rockwood or close to Rockwood. Can you tell me what zone this is in and what's going on in Roane county? We plan on having a garden and I also have fig trees (In pots right now) that I am bringing with me.

Any local exchanges going on in the county or town?

Thank You very much - Linda from NC

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rockguy(7a)

Welcome to Tennessee! I'm over west of Nashville, so can't help you much. There is a Middle TN plant swap, as well as an East TN swap, you could get to either one about as easy. Sorry I can't help with local info, someone will be along....

Bookmark   March 14, 2009 at 11:19AM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Rockwood is in zone 7. You are probably right in between zones 7a and 7b, but use your microclimate to make an even better judgment about what to plant. If you are in a valley, you might be closer to a low 7 or even a high 6. If you are near a rocky bluff, you might be a high 7b or even in a low zone 8.

Bookmark   March 14, 2009 at 12:42PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

BTW, I based my information above on actual weather/climate conditions for your area over the past few decades, not the very outdated USDA map. So, if you run into the USDA map and wonder why it says you are in zone 6b, that's because the antiquated USDA map is based on information from 1974 to 1986, not current info.

Bookmark   March 14, 2009 at 12:50PM
thedaylilykid(z 7)

I live in Rockwood! I live on a mountain in Rockwood. Rockwood seems to have two zones. Rougly between 6b and 7. I feel like I live in 6b on the mountaintop! Feel free to ask me any questions!

Lucas

Bookmark   March 15, 2009 at 11:07PM
lhendri479

Thank you Brandon and Lucas. Will keep in touch

Linda

Bookmark   March 17, 2009 at 3:26AM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Here's a link to the East Tennessee Plant Swap mentioned above. We hope you can come! It's on Sunday May 24. If you would like, you can check out the swap forum on our website and make arrangements for swaps even before you get to the event. This season's swapping is just getting started and will be buzzing by Mid May.

Here is a link that might be useful: ETPS

Bookmark   March 17, 2009 at 8:09AM
swanky

Until this winter, this area was zone 8B. We had not seen temps below about 15. THis winter sucked! Not only did we have lots of days near 5 degrees, it also seemed we had lot so of wind on the cold days. Killed a lot of stuff that had been going strong for years...

Bookmark   March 17, 2009 at 4:21PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Zones are determined by average, so, while one extreme year may change the hardiness zone slightly, it isn't likely to make even nearly a half-zone difference. I haven't checked, but I bet even in-town Chattanooga isn't quite up to 8b yet. This year was very mild compared to many of the winters we had around here a few decades ago.

Bookmark   March 17, 2009 at 6:46PM
swanky

In terms of the winters, we have been 8B for maybe 5 years until this winter. Not saying it changed our zone, just saying all the plants that are Zone 8B may have been happy and growing until now. If you care to roll the dice, you can plant some things that are zone 8 and maybe we'll get back to mild winters and they'll be happy for a few years. MY Washingtonia Palm is 8B, and appears to be toast after last winter. We'll see in a month or so...

Bookmark   March 18, 2009 at 12:59PM
More Discussions
New to Chattanooga TN
Moved here about a month ago and can't wait to garden....
poppiesandmarigolds
Japanese Maple Autumn Moon
I would like to know if anyone knows of a nursery in...
alan_ill
groundcovers in SW Tennessee
I had lots of Lamium, creeping Thyme, mints in Illinois...
ryseryse_2004
Growing Grapes in Tennessee
In hopes of getting some conversation going in our...
brandon7 TN_zone
Help with Knockout Roses
I have lost 4 mature Knockout Roses, about 10 years...
neil64
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™