new terr need plants with pictures

michael1846(6)July 15, 2013

Ok so I have a new terrarium it's temporarily set up the plants in it are duckweed and wild violets here's the problem I don't know any more plants to put in it although I am not trying to make a fairy garden they have fairy garden plants on Amazon there are five for a low price and they look attractive I will get those plants if u guys don't have any ideas I have a 10 gallon (small I know) I want a tall plant and a moss and possibly a fern I don't want to deal with dormancy so any plants that need that are out PLEASE NOTE I will put a background and drainage with charcoal when I am permanently setting it up is there any good anti mold products out there thanks for your help

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
AdrianK

Hey! First let me say i am a begginer, in fact i only set-up my first terrarium this week! (i attached a photo for you to see).
My tank is also relatively small, 54 lt (~12 gallons?). I went for a "tropical rainforest" theme, you speak of fairy gardens (im not sure what exactly those are, will look it up though sounds interesting). I got most of my plants from my local garden centre from the tropical section (cost me a total of â¬20 for all of the plants - because their all small).

So i got three diffrenent ferns (adantium capillus-veneris [maidenhair fern]; polystichum tsus-simanse; and another unidentified fern), three different cultivars of fittonia (i just love the veined leave patterns on them); a peperomia; tradescantia zebrina; exacum affine [persian flower]; a sedum; an aloe zebrina; a monadenium ritchiei, a mini phaleonopsis; a ceropegia woodii (hanging in a pot inside the terrarium) and finally a sarracenia catesbei (which actually is more of a bog plant so i just placed the pot into the medium as can be seen, the pot is also covered in moss which is nice). Another unidentified plant and some type of small palm/bamboo.

Maybe that gives you some ideas :) initially i was going to make it a mini orchid terrarium, but due to the high costs of orchids (other than the phal i picked up for 2.50) i decided to go for what i got, and im loving it.

I used a layer of hydroballs on the bottom, then for medium i made a mixture of wood bark chips, coconut husk, ~cup of normall potting soil, and a little bit of peat moss. I didnt use any charcoal or anti-mold products. The terrarium is a second hand aqaurium i picked up (for 24â¬), it has 15W fluorescent light tube. Today i recieved and added two small 4cm computer fans (one that blows fresh air in and the other sucks air out). The set-up is only 5 days old but so far the plants all look happy still :)
But like i said im a complete begginer to this so take any advice/ideas with a good tablespoon of salt ;)
Please ask if you got any further questions.

Good luck!

Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 12:47PM
butterfly4u

Adrian,
That is beautiful!
Now I want one!
Good Job!

Bookmark   August 30, 2013 at 10:01PM
teisa(6)

Adrian,

Wow!! That is AWESOME. I really like what you put together. A picture is worth a thousand words! TFS!!

This post was edited by teisa on Thu, Oct 24, 13 at 3:03

Bookmark   September 1, 2013 at 11:18PM
More Discussions
Want to get a terrarium lots of questions need suggestions pleas
I want to get a terrarium, I've thought about it for...
yurtle.the.turtle
My Miniature Terrascape
I started this Terrascape some time back but there...
keithgh
Starting a Terrascape 5ft now.
I have just commenced a 5ft Terrascape, its been in...
keithgh
Plant I.D.
Hello! I was wondering about the identity of this plant....
Jeffrey Schneider
Terrarium Heating Mat
I'm new to the terrarium world and would like to start...
bradycarnahan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™