Day Gecko Can't Climb

phelsuma44July 31, 2006

My mother in law has had a day gecko for about five months now and she called me freaking out because it can no longer climb. I suggested that maybe it was a little deficient in calcium, but there is no softening of the jaw or other limbs. She did notice that some of his skin on his head is more gray than green, which I chalk up to stress. However, this gecko is very fat, maybe a little on the overweight side. Is it possible that it is too heavy? She has all the correct lighting, and feeds gut loaded crickets and tegu worms, but she has been very poor about feeding fruit regularly. Maybe once a month at best. I have told her to take him to the vet, but we live in the boondocks and I don't think there are any vets that would know what to do with a lizard. I think she will travel though, because she loves this gecko. The lizard is not lethargic, it just can't climb. It does not seem to have much interest in eating either. Any diagnostics or suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paul_(z5 MI)

I'd say check with the folks on the forums at www.kingsnake.com Only guess I would have -- and it is a complete guess -- is perhaps he's getting ready to shed.

Bookmark   August 1, 2006 at 7:09PM
iliketerrariums

I think he might have blocked intestines, he wont climb and refuses to eat, the different color MIGHT be toxins built up in his system? has he gone "potty?" If he hasnt it might be blocked! When I was a kid I had an iguana that ended up dead (blocked intestines,same signs) because I feed him an incomplete diet, what ever the case a quick trip to the vet wouldnt hurt! =)

Bookmark   August 4, 2006 at 8:42AM
iliketerrariums

C'mon! Just dont ask a question then not give an update! Hows the little guy doing!? I dont know about anyone else but Id like to know!

Bookmark   August 9, 2006 at 1:41PM
More Discussions
Open Container Terrariums?
Hi, I've got a terrarium that is completely open at...
RainboWoman
Best micro-ferns/mosses for a SMALL closed plant terrarium
Hi, I am new to this hobby but very into it and excited...
momo034
Volunteer
I had this little sprout volunteer in another pot....
Biinaboo, Zone 10, Naples, Gulf Coast
Self-contained, Closed System Vivariums
This is my first posting; apologies if I've overlooked...
Rainbird_WI
Closed Terrarium Issues.
Hihi everyone, I recently started to build a closed...
barneyohzg
Sponsored Products
Customized 34-inch Real Wood Window Blinds
Overstock.com
Broadway Black 36-inch Wide Hanging Entryway Shelf
Overstock.com
Nisse Polished Nickel One-Light Mini-Pendant
$238.05 | Bellacor
Solune Wall Sconce
Lightology
Crosley Sedona Cast Aluminum High Back Arm Patio Chair - Set of 2
$199.00 | Hayneedle