Sources for compost, vermiculite & peat in Chattanooga area

dixiedazzleMarch 24, 2010

I'm going to Square Foot Gardening this year for veggies, have been gathering supplies.

I had a load of compost delivered yesterday, 13 yards for $125. 423-333-8810. I don't know what his delivery area is.

Bradley County Farmer's Co-Op, Blue Springs Rd at APD 40. 423-472-3239 (First I-75 Cleveland exit coming from Chattanooga is APD 40)

They've got 1 bale of peat left, I got all the vermiculite they had, they are ordering more.

5.5 cu ft bale of peat $22.99

4 cu ft A3 vermiculite: $21.95

I don't know if these are good prices or not for the area, but it's what I found & thought I would share.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dogstarfarmer

Hey there. We bought our vermiculite and peat from there too. You must be pretty close by. Do you know what the compost that guy has is made up with?

Will you be selling at any local markets? 13 yards is a lot of compost!

Bookmark   March 31, 2010 at 12:19AM
dixiedazzle

Turns out Co-Op was over-priced. Beaty's on Wildwood Ave in Cleveland had the vermiculite, same size/brand for $16.99.

Compost is cow manure, hay. Has been piled up, sitting outside, is well aged & very "clean" (can you say that about manure?) looking, no dirt. It's from a farm in Athens. Yes, it's a lot of compost! I've got 3 beds mixed, 4 x 12, one 2 x 18 +/-, more beds to build. I'm having a blast with it.

I'm in Birchwood. I don't sell at markets, just family use/canning.
Bales of peat were 13.49 for 3.8 cu/ft, slightly smaller size.

Bookmark   March 31, 2010 at 8:26AM
courtcourt

There's a place on Middle Valley Road in Hixson that has huge "hills" of mushroom compost, 'regular' compost, and other stuff...will be stopping by there sometime this week, since I am attempting one raised bed along with my SWCs this year, and don't want to buy 10 bags of soil to fill it up with.

Bookmark   April 26, 2010 at 9:12PM
lilvredcat_aol_com

So glad you said about the vermiculite at Beaty's as I was about to go to the co-op myself. This is a year later bt I just got 3.8 cuft peat bales for 11.00 at Ace hardware in Ooltewah, Tennessee.

Bookmark   March 4, 2011 at 3:59PM
More Discussions
Please ID this plant grown in Nashville, TN
Hello folks!, I brought this plant back to LA (Cali)...
lizzieroux
Composting Leaves
I have a huge pile of leaves, trying to speed up composting...
maternut
Evergreen trees with large leaves
I'm seeing them all around and wonder what they are?...
ryseryse_2004
Williamson County Master Gardener Plant Sale and Garden Expo
Williamson County Master Gardner Association Invites...
bbhillarts
mtps
Don't miss The Middle Tennessee Plant Swap this Saturday!!! https://www.facebook.com/groups/64785223352/ http://www.midtnplantswap.com/...
bigorangevol
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™