Moving Buttercups?

cindylouhoo(6MidTN)March 28, 2010

My parents had some buttercups they wanted to share with me, so I moved 3 medium sized clumps yesterday. I kept a good sized dirt ball around them and planted them when I got home. I know the best time to transplant these is late summer/early fall, but do they have a chance of making it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maternut(7 west tn)

I found some one spring, where my wife grew up, and dug them up, they are alive and well twenty years later.
Norm

Bookmark   March 28, 2010 at 3:14PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

I'm guessing you mean some type of wild Ranunculus, like Ranunculus acris, R bulbosus, R fascicularis, R hispidis, or R repens (although there are other types of plants referred to by this common name as well). I don't think you should have any problem with their survival if you got a pretty good amount of their root system. They might bloom slightly less this year while they recuperate, but I'll bet their survival won't be an issue (assuming they like conditions where you plant them). Many, if not most, wild Ranunculus like moist conditions, so make sure they don't dry out in hot weather. I'm sure there is variation in root systems and transplantability between different species, but the information I've seen says most can be easily transplanted in spring or fall.

Bookmark   March 28, 2010 at 3:48PM
More Discussions
New to Knoxville
I'm new to Knoxville TN and new to gardening in general....
freshvegetables
Pollinator habitat
I live in Virginia, but I am installing a pollinator...
Nell
Thin Tall Evergreen?
Hi all, I'm a new gardener living in TN. I'm looking...
linkjg
mtps
Don't miss The Middle Tennessee Plant Swap this Saturday!!! https://www.facebook.com/groups/64785223352/ http://www.midtnplantswap.com/...
bigorangevol
plants to give away.
I live in Ringgold, GA near Chattanooga. I have some...
mrlynn
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™