Horsetail

rosamundi-1591March 10, 2013

Horsetails are galloping across my flower beds. Any recommendation for corraling them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

That's funny...not the fact that the horsetail is acting so aggressive...but your way of describing it.

I had the same thing happen to me years ago. The guy that gave me my first little clump of the stuff warned me that it could spread, so I naively put down one of the flowerbed edger things, thinking that would stop it. And it did for the first year. However, the second year, the stuff decided to take over about a 500 square feet in one giant "gallop". It totally freaked me out, because, with the exception of maybe a really fast-spreading bamboo, I had never seen a plant move that fast. I spent days digging out ever piece of root I could find. Then I went to Home Depot and bought one of those half-barrel pond liners and planted a big clump in that. I used half peat moss and half sand, which it seemed to like just fine. For the next year, Every time I went outside, I'd scout for more Equisetum. Every time it sent up a shoot, I'd place about three to five drops of concentrated RoundUp on it. I think there was still a little that popped up the second year, but not much. It finally gave up and I got my flowerbed back. Now I have two pots of the stuff, one in the ground (the one I planted originally) and one on the back deck. It seems reasonably happy even though it seems to have given up on taking over the state.

Bookmark   March 10, 2013 at 7:46PM
More Discussions
Japanese Beetle traps & Milky Spore?
I think I read a post on one of the rose forums where...
krikit
Ivan Racheff House and Gardens 2015 Spring Plant Sale
Here's an announcment I recieved about the Racheff...
brandon7 TN_zone
New Gardener Looking for Help :D
Hey guys, I'm just an average teenager looking to get...
GardenerLee
**** 2015 East Tennessee / Knoxville-Area Plant Events ****
From the Events page of the East Tennessee Plant Swap...
brandon7 TN_zone
The early daffodils - ID?
Yesterday when driving around Blount County, I noticed...
RedBird_TN
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™