Small problem... Ants

epl_92(7)August 9, 2011

I recently set up a new terrarium, and to my surprise the common black ants that invade my house in the summer have discovered it. They seem to have built small ant hill under my phal leaf and i'm worried that they might soon move their queen in if they haven't already done so. My questions are, has anyone else ever experienced this, how was it dealt with, and what are the potential consequences of their presence? I want to deal with this as naturally as possible and preferably without disturbing the recently planted terrarium. I can provide pictures if that would help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paul_(z5 MI)

First of all, what are you using as media? Phals should not be "planted" -- they are epiphytes. Soil is a definite "no".

Assuming you are not using soil which would likely kill your phal, covering the terr with a tight fitting small screen mesh (small enough to prevent ants from entering or leaving) will prevent new ants from arriving and should cause any in the tank to die of starvation (though this will obviously take a bit of time).

Bookmark   August 25, 2011 at 7:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
norma_2006

Could CONCERN (product name),be used it's kills ants in soil and trails?, read instructions for use. Norma

Bookmark   December 25, 2011 at 4:14AM
More Discussions
Browning fern in powder at bottom of terrarium?
Hi guys, The first week (of 3 months of hainvg the...
tiffanylam38
Self-contained, Closed System Vivariums
This is my first posting; apologies if I've overlooked...
Rainbird_WI
Small ferns
I'm thinking about starting a terrarium in an old 10...
queenb
Terrarium Books?
Hi, I want to start making terrariums, and I was wondering...
JordyS
My Miniature Terrascape
I started this Terrascape some time back but there...
keithgh
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™