Clove Bush-Ribes Aureum Var. Aureum Golden Currant

columbiastock(Z7)March 27, 2009

We have been preparing for weeks for the MTPS. So many sprouts of shrubs are growing and I would like some feed back on the Clove bush I brought to the Spring '08 swap. Ours is in full bloom and the smell is wonderful. Bringing some Lace Cap Hydrangeas to swap. Also last fall swap I receieved a fruit from Pumpkin on a Stick (Ornamental Eggplant), dried the seeds, and planted them 3 weeks ago inside, now have several to bring to the swap.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Do you grow your lace caps from cuttings? If so, which type of cutting (softwood, hardwood, etc) do you think is easiest? What cultivars do you grow?

Bookmark   March 27, 2009 at 1:52PM
velsgarden(TN 7)

columbiastock,Im so glad you posted this.I got one of the clove bushes from you at the swap and you got pumpkin on a stick from me.The clove is the only one I lost the tag for and I have been trying to figure out what it was.Mine has just really leafed out,but no blooms.

Bookmark   March 27, 2009 at 8:01PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

The scientific name would be Ribes aureum v. aureum. The most common common-name is Golden Currant.

Bookmark   March 27, 2009 at 9:35PM
columbiastock(Z7)

Velsgarden,

Bob and I were talking about you as I planted the Pumpkin on a Stick seeds. Have you ever started them yourself and what luck did you have? My neighbors Clove-Golden Currant has just now bloomed out, hope yours did also.

Bookmark   April 5, 2009 at 2:11PM
burwoodbelle(6-7)

anyone want golden-clove currant,I have lots.To bring to the MTPS.

PAT L

Bookmark   April 13, 2009 at 10:15PM
velsgarden(TN 7)

Hey columbiastock.I started those pumpkin on a stick last year from seed.The seeds I brought to the swap came from that plant.Still no blooms on my clove bush,but Im just glad to have the bush

Bookmark   April 14, 2009 at 10:25PM
brendasmky_hotmail_com

Is the clove bush the same as the 'spice bush'? I have been offered a start of this shrub/tree, the leaves smells like cloves, and it blooms here in Ohio about the same time as the forsytheths. Also how does one begin a start from a mother bush? Please help I am new to this.

Bookmark   June 13, 2011 at 7:51AM
columbiastock(Z7)

Brenda: I assume they are the same bush. It has small clusters of yellow blooms that smell like cloves early spring. It will have suckers come up around the mother bush, just let them grow to your desired heighth ,dig out and repot for giving away or replant in your yard.

Wanda

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 5:13PM
heathersgarden(6b/7a Mid TN)

I believe the spice bush is the common name for calycanthus or lindera, whereas the Clove currant is another plant altogether. I grow a clove currant whose botanical name(according to it's tag) is ribes odoratum. Early yellow bloom clusters that smell heavenly, and followed by an edible fruit. Has frilly leaves and sends up shoots from the root system.

Bookmark   June 16, 2011 at 10:44AM
More Discussions
New Gardener Looking for Help :D
Hey guys, I'm just an average teenager looking to get...
GardenerLee
mtps
Don't miss The Middle Tennessee Plant Swap this Saturday!!! https://www.facebook.com/groups/64785223352/ http://www.midtnplantswap.com/...
bigorangevol
Amaryllis in Tennessee
Can Amaryllis stay in the ground near Nashville TN?...
ryseryse_2004
Which Fruit Trees to plant?
I just purchased 3 acres and a small house. The entire...
hopin4rain
groundcovers in SW Tennessee
I had lots of Lamium, creeping Thyme, mints in Illinois...
ryseryse_2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™