What's this white stuff on cuke plants/yellow leaves?

SkykatMay 28, 2014

Hi all, I'm new to the forums and this is my very first year gardening. I bought (2) 4' x 4' raised beds that are 7" deep. They were filled with peat, bagged gardening soil, mushroom compost, perlite and organic fertilizer. I started my seeds indoors and just put them in the raised beds 9 days ago. I'm wondering white the white stuff on the stem of this cuke might be, and what might be the cause of the yellowing of the leaves? The leaves were already yellowing a bit before they were placed in the raised bed. All of my other veggies that are in the same bed (peppers and tomatos) look really healthy and happy. No noticeable critter infestation, other than a fair amount of ants. I can only come up with an overwatering or nitrogen issue but I don't have enough experience to pinpoint it. Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Skykat

Another pic of yellow leaves...

Bookmark   May 28, 2014 at 9:54PM
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

That leaf in the second photo: I've never seen anything like that on a cucumber. Roundup damage on tomatoes bleaches out the green, but I don't know how Roundup (or other herbicide) would affect cucumber leaves.

I can't see enough of the white stuff on the stem to guess what that is.

If you don't get more definite answers here, post on the Vegetable Gardening forum.

Bookmark   May 29, 2014 at 11:42PM
Skykat

Thanks. I did post in veggie growing forum too, with no hits. If by roundup you mean weed killer, it hasn't been exposed to any. Whatever it may be, it doesn't seem to be progressing rapidly.

Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 11:28AM
slowjane CA/ Sunset 21

I haven't seen that yellowing pattern either (though I'm also a beginner pretty much). I would make sure to water consistently and keep an eye on it - maybe just transplant shock of some kind? Hope it clears up!

Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 8:53PM
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

There are many weedkillers besides Roundup (glyphosate), but Roundup exposure does result in pale leaf areas (on tomatoes, anyway -- but iirc, leaves affected by Roundup are also stunted). Other herbicides have different effects (twisted, malformed leaves, for instance).

But what most folks don't know is that sprayed herbicides can blow on the wind for long distances. Might not even be someone in your neighborhood!

Bookmark   May 31, 2014 at 10:34PM
More Discussions
Attic Insulation Vermiculite safe?
I am starting my SFG this year and just picked up some...
jcoenen
How deep does a raised bed need to be?
I'm new to SFG and was wondering if the depth of the...
pinkkpearls
Vermiculite Source List - Throughout USA
I had a hard time finding vermiculite, so I have compiled...
angela12345
Safe insecticide: Olive Oil, Dish Soap, Water
I'm going to try a safe insecticide first before going...
travelsfo
staining wood for raised beds.
I'm wanting to build a raised bed and first went out...
johnmcd348
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™