marking the sqaure foot

mildaMay 15, 2010

Not new to gardening, just trying to be more efficient with my 4 x 16 foot raised bed, 2-1/2 feet high. Bought and read the book and have soil that has been enhanced over at least a 7-year period (but will likely add lime for the tomatoes anyway). Has anyone else adapted this way? What other methods have YOU used to mark the square foot, and have they been effective for you?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rlkennerly(8)

We bought some eight foot 2 x 4's and my husband used his table saw to cut them into 4' pieces then ripped those pieces into 1/2 inch strips which he then screwed together. (it was cheaper than buying the strips that Mel recommended.). Once he got the grids assembled he screwed them onto the boxes. When we worked the boxes this spring it was very easy to unscrew the grids from the boxes and rescrew them when we are done.

Here is a link that might be useful: LookMaNoWeeds

Bookmark   May 16, 2010 at 1:34AM
angela12345(7b NC Mixed-Humid)

Milda, check out the FAQ section ... the topic titled "What can I build my grids out of?" has Lots of ideas !! Anyone have any other ideas not already listed there ?

Bookmark   May 17, 2010 at 10:01AM
greentouch(7b)

Well, don't laugh, but you use what you have available... and we had bamboo. First we tried putting the grids on top of the boards, but that just did not work well.

So we shortened the canes and dropped the grids inside, and it works great. The canes were cut when green with a 1.5 inch tree trimmer, laid in the pattern, and tied together with garden twine after the inside pattern was selected.

Canes can easily be lifted in fall or next winter and stored, and then reused. Best part - it was easy and free. If the twine rots, I don't care.

Bookmark   May 18, 2010 at 9:22PM
kim0201

I used inexpensive twine which I fed thru small fence staples I pounded inside the beds just a bit above ground level. They really only last a season but it was inexpensive & worked for me.

Bookmark   May 19, 2010 at 6:17PM
More Discussions
Watery soil under raised bed
Hey all, I am new to raised beds, just started construction...
jazz1234
Onion spacing- 16/sq ft vs. Dixondale recommendation
Dixondale farms suggests 4" between onions, and...
mmqchdygg
Cinder block raised bed & drainage
Hi, I am new to this forum and gardening so please...
Alex Rumjancevs
Garlic crop rotating?
I started a bed 4'x6' last full of garlic. I was a...
disneynut1977
staining wood for raised beds.
I'm wanting to build a raised bed and first went out...
johnmcd348
Sponsored Products
Salt Grind 'n' Measure
$11.99 | zulily
Pi 148 ft (45 meters) Half Inch Round LED Rope Light EL10150
EnvironmentalLights.com
Laura Ashley 88" Tall Willow Ficus with Multiple Trunks in 17" Fiberstone Plante
Overstock.com
QualArc Edgewood Vertical Lighted Address Plaque - LTV-1303-ORB
$149.99 | Hayneedle
Bullet Tools Measuring Tools Stair Step Scribe 722
$95.88 | Home Depot
Baxton Studio Neo Orange Plastic Modern Dining Chairs (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
QualArc Allux 800 Steel Parcel Box - ALX-800-GY
$399.99 | Hayneedle
Pyramid Dining Side Chair in Red
$120.00 | LexMod
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™