New terrariums... too much soil?

laliqueAugust 24, 2012

What are your thoughts? Pics are attached. Plants are a purple waffle and a polka dot plant.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greentea29

In my opinion, yes I do think you have too much soil. If your plants decide to get any bigger they'll run out of room. I'm pretty new to this too (I actually went out and bought some cookie jar containers like those to use for my own terrariums). But I do have two (so far) successful terrariums. Neither of them have too much soil. The bigger one might not even have enough.

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 2:12PM
greentea29

The smaller one.

The first pic is of a chloryphytum and a fittonia and the second pic is about 6 fittonias - one of them a pink variety. Neither of them get direct sunlight. They're both placed on south facing windows, but get plenty of shade from the house next door. The bigger terrarium is sealed. From what I've read on here, there aren't many advocates for sealed terrariums. After opening and closing the lid for the first week or so and finding the right balance of moisture inside, it's remained closed.

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 2:21PM
paul_(z5 MI)

I would agree that you have too much in the jars. One of things you could do is skip the bottom layer of gravel. Despite the "convential wisdom" it really does not provide any benefits. I would then further decrease your soil by 1/4 to 1/3. The problem with your current level is, as GT said, it does not currently allow for much room if your plants start to grow.

Happy planting!

Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 2:44PM
More Discussions
Where to Buy Miniature Oak Leaf Ficus (Ficus Pumila Quercifolia)?
Hello! I've purchased Ficus Pumila Quercifolia (see...
Jeffrey Schneider
small terrarium moss problem
I have a tiny terrarium with only one small Moon valley...
Connecticutian18
Browning fern in powder at bottom of terrarium?
Hi guys, The first week (of 3 months of hainvg the...
tiffanylam38
Minature Mosses and vines for Terrarium backing
I am in the process of starting a large L5ft, x W15ins...
keithgh
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™