Vine ? possibly poison

akewaMarch 27, 2008

Hi all,

We are clearing land and have been told that a small plant in from of our gate was poison. Which it was for I got it just touching our front gate when working on it.

My question is about a few vines we have on popular trees around here. Is there another vine besides poison ivy that has hairy root/stem that climbs trees? These do not have leaves yet so I cant tell. Also they do not look red to me just brown.

Thanks

Tamara

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arjo_reich

Virginia Creeper & Kudzu are pretty common down here and invasive as all hell...

    Bookmark   March 27, 2008 at 5:07PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
atokadawn(7)

Could have sworn I posted to this one.... Oh well.

There is also posion sumac and posion oak out there. Just make sure to go in and wash quick after removing them. Do not rub the oils into the skin. Wash the clothes you wear seprate from others. The oil can spread to other clothes.
I am highly alergic to all them yet have not had a breakout in years.

    Bookmark   March 29, 2008 at 12:00PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
myrtleoak(z7 TN)

Virginia creeper is commonly mistaken for a poisonous vine.

    Bookmark   March 31, 2008 at 1:46AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sdrawkcab(7)

It seems like I get P.I. just from looking at it; I wonder if I'll get it just from posting in a thread about it?

If you have any doubts about the vines you see clinging to the trees you can cut them at the base to kill them. Spray any new shoots that emerge from the old root with brush killer. Used according to label directions, brush killer is more effective against PI than regular Round-Up.

+1 to the advice about wearing sleeves and gloves and washing with soap immediatly after exposure to PI or PI infected wood/brush.

I don't have any experience with poison oak, but I can tell you that poison sumac is a tree, not a vine.

    Bookmark   March 31, 2008 at 9:36AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

I've never had any problem killing PI with regular Roundup. I do usually mix it a little heavier than normal. If you cut the vines and apply Roundup, use it full strength or at least 50/50. Generic glyphosate is cheaper than branded Roundup and works just the same.

    Bookmark   March 31, 2008 at 4:04PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
akewa

Well, we know it is not poison now. But it is also not creeper or kudzu. This has a small white flower that blooms most of the year. I am thinking it might be a type of jasmine ot honey suckle.

Thanks

    Bookmark   April 1, 2008 at 8:52AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

But didn't you say that you got a rash from touching it?

I think we need a picture to ID this plant.

    Bookmark   April 1, 2008 at 9:47AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
myrtleoak(z7 TN)

Clematis virginiana?

Here is a link that might be useful: Virgin's Bower

    Bookmark   April 2, 2008 at 1:03AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
akewa

No rash from this plant that other was a known poison ivy.
I was able to track this vine down to be japanese honeysuckle. Which is good as it is not poison and it is a herbal vine. But we have way to much of it so we shall work on getting it under control.

    Bookmark   April 3, 2008 at 9:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
civilengr3(6a NE.TN)

Jap. Honeysuckle IS poison in my book! may not cause a rash, but it sure makes for a lot of frustration when you have a forest full of it.

    Bookmark   April 8, 2008 at 10:18AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arjo_reich

It could also be rhus aromatica. looks a lot like poison oak or a sumac variant but grows as a bush and can have tiny white flowers on it starting in mid-march.

Last year I cut down a couple hundred sq. ft. of it in the back of the property to clear out space for a little garden-glen.

    Bookmark   April 8, 2008 at 10:43AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thelma2022_yahoo_com

we have a lot of vines in our trees, they have 5 leaves and it looks to me like a smaller verion of a buckeye leaf. I am getting a rash and that what I think it came from.

    Bookmark   April 16, 2011 at 1:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
KatyaKatya(6)

Japanese honeysuckle is not poisonous, my children like to suck sweet nectar out of its small flowers. But it is evil environmentally, taking over native vegetation and turning entire areas into honeysuckle deserts - like kudzu. Kill it whenever you can - even if you kind of like it, you will have a lot of it left over anyway. I try to make a use of it, weaving it into wreaths, works better than grape vines.

    Bookmark   April 18, 2011 at 10:48AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Thin Tall Evergreen?
Hi all, I'm a new gardener living in TN. I'm looking...
linkjg
Pollinator habitat
I live in Virginia, but I am installing a pollinator...
Nell
New to Chattanooga TN
Moved here about a month ago and can't wait to garden....
poppiesandmarigolds
Which Fruit Trees to plant?
I just purchased 3 acres and a small house. The entire...
hopin4rain
Please ID this plant grown in Nashville, TN
Hello folks!, I brought this plant back to LA (Cali)...
lizzieroux
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™