Coleus

Bryce_Godwin(6 So. IL)August 3, 2004

Would Coleus do well in a terrarium. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ladybug_guam(z11 Guam)

I don't think so, they need full sun, plenty of air circulation, is not, they get mold very fast, and, they grow large, sorry...I love coleus, have many outside, here's a pic of one and how big they get, this one pic I took after prooning half of it off!
Ana :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Coleus

Bookmark   August 4, 2004 at 5:42AM
dragonthoughts

sure you can do that. you just need the terrarium to fit the conditions the plants need. If it grows tall you need a tall terrarium. If it needs bright light you can use metal halide or sodium halide lights.
I don't know enough about the plants to tell you how to do it, but www.glasshouseworks.com has some info on them I think. I ran across it before but they get to big for my setup. I couldn't check on how extensive the info is because the site seems to be down...

Bookmark   August 4, 2004 at 8:25AM
sahoyaref(Alberta z3a)

I'm going to try this out soon, because I love the colours of coleus, and I'll post my results. I think you should just try it! Take a cutting and plop it in your terr. They root very easily, and as long as you have fans for air circulation and artificial lighting that's strong enough, it should work. As for the size they grow to, just keep it pinched and when it still gets too big, take the plant out, take a cutting, and put the cutting back in to start over. It's worth a shot!

Bookmark   August 4, 2004 at 2:45PM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
Coleus is one of my favorite plants and I grow them in every conceivable way. The trick is to slowly adapt it to it's new form of culture.
In my terrarium I'm growing cuttings in the folds of a waterfall with no media at all!! It has produced epi roots
is still maintaing the colors.Growth is slow and many cuttings died but the greener ones seem the most adaptable.
The trick is to start the cuttings in a pot and overtime
move toward the culture of your choice.
Size is unimportant because they root so easily you can start new ones.
My experience has been the more green on the leaves the more adaptable. They are so cheap and easily available why not experiment??
Gary

Bookmark   August 7, 2004 at 6:41AM
More Discussions
Fungus gnats
Hey everyone, I recently turned a 10 gal aquarium into...
lrn2gro
Volunteer
I had this little sprout volunteer in another pot....
Biinaboo, Zone 10, Naples, Gulf Coast
Starting a Terrascape 5ft now.
I have just commenced a 5ft Terrascape, its been in...
keithgh
Terrarium Heating Mat
I'm new to the terrarium world and would like to start...
bradycarnahan
Small ferns
I'm thinking about starting a terrarium in an old 10...
queenb
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™