Where to find Cork Bark?

jmcat(5)September 10, 2007

I am looking to replant one of my terrariums with a bigger waterfall, a background, some bromeliads, and some other plants. My question is: Where can I buy cork bark for the background, or rather, what kinds of stores will sell it (I'd prefer to get it locally)? Could I find it at, say, Petco?

Thanks,

-Jmcat

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paul_(z5 MI)

If you're refering to natural 'panels'/sections of corkbark, I've never seen any at Petco or any other generic big petstore. Some orchid nurseries sell it. I got some from Larry's Orchids. I avoided paying postage as I ran into him at an orchid show. The panels are irregular in size so do keep that in mind.

If you have any specialty petstore, especially ones that focus on exotic animals, you might find some there.

You might check at a herp show. Though I haven't seen any sold at the one I attend, I suppose some places might.

Now alternatively, you could try getting cork like you would for a corkboard and decorate that -- gluing peat or branches to it. I'm going to be giving that a try myself. Michael's Arts & Crafts has rolls 48" long and of differing heights. My intent is to peat moss it, perhaps glue some small branches or bark to it and then have my cork bark panels over top of that. [My hope is to get a little bit of dimension and to have the board cork "fill in" the spots that the cork bark does not.] The board cork is a LOT cheaper than the cork bark, btw -- especially if you happen to have one of Michael's 50% off on item coupons.

Bookmark   September 16, 2007 at 1:35PM
jmcat(5)

Thanks for the info, Paul. I'm interested in hearing updates as to how the cork board works. Thanks again!
-Jmcat

Bookmark   September 16, 2007 at 10:19PM
tmcir_yahoo_com

I have a pickup load of oak cork bark. It is from a cork oaktree. Pieces vary in size from 2" square to 12" square and 1/2 ti 2" thick. Its available free you pick up.

Bookmark   December 11, 2010 at 1:13PM
paul_(z5 MI)

Dang! Wish you were in easy driving distance for me, Tony -- I would definitely take you up on that if I could.

Bookmark   December 19, 2010 at 2:49PM
terri_sommellamarketing_com

Anyone have any cork bark in or near central PA?

Bookmark   December 31, 2010 at 8:50PM
paul_(z5 MI)

Terri, keep you eyes open (or Google) for orchid shows w/in driving distance -- a number of orchid venders carry cork bark.

Bookmark   January 2, 2011 at 2:33PM
More Discussions
Best micro-ferns/mosses for a SMALL closed plant terrarium
Hi, I am new to this hobby but very into it and excited...
momo034
Misting System Frustrations!
Please excuse me for venting my frustrations on this...
Cdfortin
moss landscapes under glass
Hi, Although I'm a beginner at bonsai I have been growing...
engwerda
Schlumbergera
the tropical, epiphytic cactus...yet everyone grows...
lrn2gro
Starting a Terrascape 5ft now.
I have just commenced a 5ft Terrascape, its been in...
keithgh
Sponsored Products
Campania International Rustic Rolled Rim Cast Stone Planter - 18.25 in. - P-548-
$139.99 | Hayneedle
Blue Dot Cylinder Vase
$39.99 | zulily
15745AZT Bronze 6.9 in Kichler 3 LED Hardscape Light with Bracket
EnvironmentalLights.com
Filament Design Flush Mounts Providence 3-Light Hanging Outdoor Black
Home Depot
Glomar 1-Light CFL R30 White Track Head Bullet Cylinder HD-TH365
$33.75 | Home Depot
Sasha II Garnet Satin Nickel Mini Pendant
$153.00 | Bellacor
Alfresco Home Buddha Bust Garden Statue - 61-7200