Need animals for palundarium

cactiman_2009September 5, 2009

Hi, I am going to make a palundarium and need some animals for it. I would really like n amphibim, but because i live in Australiathere is no salamnders for sale as they are illegal and no frogs.the only things that can be collected from the wild are cane toads and are VERY poisunus. i May be abble to get a turtle but would rather something else. Any ides?

Regards matt

P.S I am lredt making a fiddler crab palundarium

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
taz6122(N.W. AR.6b)

I'm not familiar Australian law but would check with any pet store in your area.

Bookmark   October 17, 2009 at 7:12AM
domehome(9 CA)

No frogs! I have an albino horned toad in my paludarium. How about a chameleon? My latest "pet" want is an african snail . . . unfortunately they are illegal to import to California. They wouldn't be very compatable with plants though LOL.
Dee

Bookmark   October 23, 2009 at 1:20AM
cactiman_2009

Only animals the petshops sellare crickets woodies, scorpions, spiders cratfish and reptiles that need a licences and all cost way to much. i do not want feeders as they al escaped last time i got them. my dad may e letting me get a scorpion tho.

regards matt

Bookmark   October 29, 2009 at 8:53AM
taz6122(N.W. AR.6b)

What are woodies? The only woodies I know I know of are these.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=woodies&sourceid=navclient-ff&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS309US309&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=v8jqSq-DMM2XtgeQpt06&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CB4QsAQwAw

Also never heard of a cratfish.

Bookmark   October 30, 2009 at 7:12AM
cactiman_2009

woodies are feeder roaches and you would call a crayfish a crawfish

Bookmark   October 30, 2009 at 6:37PM
taz6122(N.W. AR.6b)

Nah! I call them crawdads. They live in the ground here as well as springs, creeks, rivers and lakes.

Bookmark   October 31, 2009 at 2:54PM
sakeofsilence(9)

Whites tree frog? Theyre Australian or is this applicable to the licensing fee comment?

Bookmark   November 1, 2009 at 3:07PM
cactiman_2009

Yea they are but you need a licensence for all amphibians and reptiles, exept axolotls. It's to prevent animal crualty. I've got some snails now.

Regards Matt

Bookmark   November 6, 2009 at 5:02PM
domehome(9 CA)

Matt,
Great choice! I have had many types of animals and in my experience I think the more exotic they are the more cruel it is to keep them. It's so hard to create an environment equal to the task of keeping them healthy, let alone happy. My last pet purchase . . . a remote control tarantula. Lots of fun when played with and none of the responsibility associated with a live thing (I even set up a terrarium for him, quests always think he's real!).
Dee. from the sunshine state of California

Bookmark   December 2, 2009 at 12:59AM
More Discussions
Where to purchase miniature plant seeds
I have would like to grow my own fairy garden plants...
Linda1684
Small ferns
I'm thinking about starting a terrarium in an old 10...
queenb
Fungus gnats
Hey everyone, I recently turned a 10 gal aquarium into...
lrn2gro
Fungus in container
i am trying to grow a terrarium for the first time....
babcia
Plant I.D.
Hello! I was wondering about the identity of this plant....
Jeffrey Schneider
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™