Pestilence - Mint

yrdling(U:7B A:9 S:33)June 14, 2008

I think it is caterpillars. I didn't see the caterpillar when I took the picture of the black specks on my mint plant, but I noticed it when editing the pictures. There are big holes in many of the mint leaves, and nasty looking black spots on the leaves and stems. Caterpillar poo, maybe?

I'm pretty sure that's a caterpillar in the third picture. Can anyone confirm my conjecture and tell me how to deal with this pest?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
moabgail(CO Z3)

That certainly looks like a cut worm (caterpillar) to me and your dark spots look like cut worm fecal material.

I don't like to use insecticides on my vegetables so I just examine my plants regularly and when I see damage like you have, I pick the little buggers off the plants and feed them to my chickens. If I didn't have chickens I'd smash them.

Bookmark   June 14, 2008 at 12:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yrdling(U:7B A:9 S:33)

The cut worms are so tiny, and so hard to see. I don't want to use insecticides either, but yesterday evening after I posted this, I made a spray that I found on the net and sprayed the plant with it. I don't know if it will kill cut worms.

I mixed up a tablespoon of liquid dish soap in a cup of vegetable oil, then put a bit less than a tablespoon of this mixture into a cup of water. I put it in a sprayer bottle, shook it up, and sprayed it on the plant.

I don't know if that will do the trick, but I don't see the worm right now.

I will be sure to wash the plant leaves thoroughly before making myself a mint julep! :-)

Bookmark   June 14, 2008 at 1:29PM
More Discussions
Bush bean spacing
I was reading in the Sq. foot gardening book that the...
israelithyme
Probably A Dumb Question But
My backyard in AZ is entirely gravel/rocks and pavers....
tascer
Filling my raised bed
Ok, I'm new to gardening but am planning on constructing...
Matt Cauwels
Watery soil under raised bed
Hey all, I am new to raised beds, just started construction...
jazz1234
What to put in the bottom of 12" high boxes??
Hello all, I am doing my first SFG this year. I live...
Deck Pros
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™