Should I apply fertilizer AND bone meal??

kathleeenJune 15, 2010

Hello all. I just planted my tomatoes (all are 12-18 inches tall). A few plants last year had blossom end rot so I started reading on how to prevent again this year. I failed to add bone meal prior to planting. So what now? Should I sprinkle on bone meal around each plant and gently work into the soil a couple of inches deep? And approx how much bone meal per plant?

Secondly, another box on the fertilizer shelf says its for tomatoes and vegetables...should I use this IN ADDITION to the bone meal?

Just curious...why did only a few plants last year get BER when they were all in the same soil? I think it was just the roma tomatoes, so maybe BER only affects certain varieties???

Kathy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chefchops

Hi Kathleen,

What you experienced, I think, is brown bottom disease. This is caused by not enough calcium in the soil, so bone meal would be the appropriate additive. You may also want to try collecting egg shells before planting, then grind up to add to soil. Shells work very well, and they're a simple way to improve your situation. Happy Gardening:)

Bookmark   July 15, 2010 at 11:41PM
More Discussions
The Color Of Tomato
Do you remember the movie called The Color Of Money...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
What is a good source for heirloom tomato seeds in Canada?
I've decided to get into heirloom tomato this year....
lemonbasil
Concerned about Mr. Stripey Heirloom Tomatoes
I recently picked up a pakc of little tomato plants...
Noteybook
Should I grow white tomatoes?
I have Great White seeds and already sprouted some....
shijitake
My Druzba
must think it's halloween as it's short,stocky and...
jwr6404
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™