Mole got into raised bed - recommended solutions for next year?

estreyaJune 14, 2009

Greetings everyone!

This is my first year with raised square foot garden beds. Each day, they delight and teach me many new things, though for the past two days, they've frustrated me no end. You see, a mole got underneath and into one of the beds, uprooting my tender shoots and leaving those horrible dirt mounds in their place.

I know it's too late to attempt any preventative measures this year. For next year, what kind of material should i line the beds with to prevent the moles from accessing the dirt? I'm thinking the openings on chicken wire are too large ... would nylon netting work? Can i get a small but strong grid pattern in a wire mesh of some kind?

Any advise would be deeply appreciated.

I'm not giving up! :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sinfonian(U8b A2 S5 SeaWA)

Contractor's mesh I think it's called. 1/4th inch holes and made of steel. Sturdy stuff.

Sorry they disturbed your beds. That sucks. My moles are confined to my front yard for the moment. My beds may not be protected with landscape fabric and 3 inches of gravel.

Good luck and don't give up. Coons have raided my bed just as bad. Let it be a lesson.

Bookmark   June 14, 2009 at 2:36AM
gumby_ct(CT it says Z5)

Ask for "hardware cloth" it's a wire mesh as described above. Comes in different size openings, I think half-inch will work.

Nylon might get chewed by the varmit. From your description it sounds like a gopher.

Bookmark   June 14, 2009 at 11:02AM
estreya

Thank you very much, you two. This is exactly what i needed to know. I'll look for hardware cloth/contractors mesh in my local hardware stores next Spring.

Bookmark   June 14, 2009 at 3:20PM
tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM

At our home depot in the same area as the chicken wire they have other materials with different sized openings. Some of our beds are not lined at the moment because dh insisted that the gopher did not come to the area where the beds are. Well, they do because last year they came up into the pumpkins and eggplants. The chicken wire should be fine though. All of our trees are planted in cages made out of chicken wire. We can see where the gophers have run into the chicken wire and have needed to redirect themselves (this was only after losing 2 Austrian Pines, 2 apple and 2 cherry trees). Now we also make it a point to poison the little varmints.

Bookmark   June 14, 2009 at 5:36PM
sqftsteve

estreya,

Hardware cloth on the bottom, poultry wire on top. Take no prisoners!

Fast forward to 45 seconds in - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRjXAZqXvXA&fmt=18

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRjXAZqXvXA&fmt=18

Bookmark   June 14, 2009 at 8:39PM
stephanieftx

A shotgun or slingshot is very effective as well!

Bookmark   June 14, 2009 at 8:47PM
medontdo(8)

a bbgun will work wonders!! ;'> my son has killed 3 rabbits so far ;')

Bookmark   June 17, 2009 at 7:39PM
mmqchdygg(Z5NH)

try this:

Bookmark   June 18, 2009 at 9:37AM
More Discussions
SFG drip system
As I ponder building my boxes and irrigation I am considering...
tedeboy
Onion spacing- 16/sq ft vs. Dixondale recommendation
Dixondale farms suggests 4" between onions, and...
mmqchdygg
pine vs cedar for raised bed
I am building 2 4'x8' raised beds. Last year I built...
rersoap
Mighty Matos / Mighty Veggies and SFG
Does anyone here have experience with SFG and Mighty...
tafountain
Cold Weather Covers
I made a cover for a 4x4 box going off the instructions...
mtnrunner
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™