sweet olive trees?

landrover(northknoxville)March 28, 2005

My mom's favorite fragrance came from the sweet olive tree. I wanted to plant one in her honor but it looks like they are only hardy to 20 degrees? Has anyone ever heard of one surviving in Knoxville?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anntn6b(z6b TN)

We brought ours up from New Orleans where it had to be brought inside for coldest weather. Here we're 18 miles ne of Knoxville.
Big heavy pot held about 15 gallons of potting soil and supported a four foot tall, shrubby sweet olive.
I kept it alive for five years up here by overwintering it on our passive solar porch (taking up lots of water some weeks in winterf; a lot less in cloudy, dreary weather.)
It can be done, but in winter takes as much care as a pet to keep the water right.

Bookmark   March 28, 2005 at 4:31PM
landrover(northknoxville)

ooh that's where we were living--in New Orleans--when Mom discovered it. That was in 1959. We lived on our sailboat in the West End Canal by the Coast Guard station on Lake Ponchatrain--ah fond memories. I think I'll just abandon the idea of getting one. My dwarf gardenia will have to suffice.

Bookmark   March 28, 2005 at 9:28PM
jennbenn(z7b)

Hi, I have grown a sweet olive tree for about 2 years now! It is very slow growing, but so far has done well.. I have it in a border along my fence and so far so good! I am in Memphis.. so maybe try it? If you mulch heavily and put it with a little protection? Just a thought! jenn

Bookmark   March 29, 2005 at 7:23AM
mrlynn(z7 GA)

I live in Ringgold, Georgia just south of Chattanooga and have been growing a sweet olive on my deck for 5 or 6 years. It stays outside year round. It has been very hardy for me. It is about 6 or 7 feet tall. It has gotten down to 7 or 8 degrees without damage. It is in a huge pot.

I am in zone 7a. It blooms mainly in the fall but also some in the spring.

Bookmark   March 29, 2005 at 5:52PM
landrover(northknoxville)

Thanks everyone for all the comments. I was just wondering if anyone had ever seen a sweet olive at Lowe's or Home Depot? Where did ya'll get yours?

Bookmark   March 29, 2005 at 10:12PM
jennbenn(z7b)

I got mine at the home depot a few years ago, but I see them every year, I got mine in the summer time! HTH! Good luck! Jenn

Bookmark   March 30, 2005 at 6:45AM
madmouser(7 TN)

Ecolage has them. See link below. They specialize in Southern plants.
I ordered a night-blooming jasmine from them last year and was extremely pleased with it. Arrived as a huge plant (about 2 feet tall) with several branches and covered in buds which bloomed a week later.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweet Olive at Ecolage

Bookmark   April 4, 2005 at 2:09PM
More Discussions
Growing Grapes in Tennessee
In hopes of getting some conversation going in our...
brandon7 TN_zone
New to Knoxville
I'm new to Knoxville TN and new to gardening in general....
freshvegetables
Pollinator habitat
I live in Virginia, but I am installing a pollinator...
Nell
Please ID this plant grown in Nashville, TN
Hello folks!, I brought this plant back to LA (Cali)...
lizzieroux
Any chicken coop experts?
We have what I thought was a well-built chicken coop....
fraziertoo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™